07-19-13 Expert Day

MVP

Dealing sticky clients withtout ClientMatch

As clientmatch is really new and its on the early deployment i wouldnt want to implement it yet to a production enviroment

Now guys what all the tweeks i can make in the configuration to  help with the sticky client problem?
and also what recommended values you would use?

For example

Maybe you could use client hand off assist? if you use it what would be the recommended value for it? and so on? i mean when someone calls the tac and tell you well i got sticky client problems what configuration and recommended values you guys in tac use? or change in the configurattion to help with this?

I ask this because i currently got a client which has sticky clients PDAs and they just wont roam correctly...

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

Re: Dealing sticky clients withtout ClientMatch

Hi,

With Client-match enable, when I tested with sticky client (galaxy tab), the results were very positive with default config on Aruba controller running 6.3. Client match takes care of many knowns that we had to enable prior to 6.3, like band steering, spectrum load balancing, local-probe threshold and many others.

So in my option do not tweak any option. If you want you can tweak parameter like when do you want algorithem to kick in based on your AP density. For example Default value of SNR is 25, so may be you can change it to 20 if you want.

Regards,

Alap

Aruba Employee

Nightshade1,

The clientmatch feature integrates the functionality of handoff-assist, band-steering, spectrum load balancing, band balancing into one single logic,

which takes precedence over the individual config knobs.

i.e., if handoff-assist is enabled independently and client-match is then enabled, the decisions made by client match will be the one that is implemented.

Having said that, in the absence of client-match - we will have little control over the roaming decisions made by any client.

The client decides to which BSS it wants to associate and one of the good options is to limit BSS cell size manually.

for example, if there are two AP-105's located 50ft from each other, the Tx power could be set as 15. This would ensure that the

BSS overlap between the two AP's are quite limited, forcing the client to roam to new AP rather than sticking with the original AP.

Additionally, we could also consider setting a local probe request treshold value (e.g. 20). This would force the client probe requests to be honored only if above a certain SNR value.

Barath Srinivasan
Customer Engineering Architect
Customer Advocacy | Aruba Networks Inc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution", in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aruba Employee

Barath Srinivasan
Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution", in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
Aruba Employee

Also, cutting data rates is another tool that can be used to help a device move off of an AP and onto a better candidate.

Finally, similarly to client handoff assist, we have max-tx-fail, which can be used to force a client off of an AP when the client goes above a certain number of failed transmissions.

GG

ACE Engineer
ACMX, ACDX, CISSP, B. Eng.
MVP

Thanks Barath i ll try that.

About the client match im still testing it but its hard to kick off the roaming of sticky clients when i got no sticky clients... as im using a windows 8 tablet it roam before the client match does something... and well my motorola atrix it just wont roam... but well thats for the other topic i got in the normal tread which you already got more questions in there :)

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
MVP

which data rates you would cut? tthe transmit rates?

If they are the transmit rate would you cut the slowest ones?

transmitrate.PNG

Which ones you would  uncheck?

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

Sounds good. Is this same as the test which you were doing with two AP-105's along with client-match enabled and only band-steering was taking effect and not the sticky client trigger?

Barath Srinivasan
Aruba Employee

I usually cut both the basic and transmit rates so that they match. Meaning that i will remove 1 and 2 mbps from both basic and transmit rates.

How many rates you end up cutting will depend on how dense the environment is.

GG

ACE Engineer
ACMX, ACDX, CISSP, B. Eng.
MVP

Yes the bandsteering was working... i mean i was walking from one ap to the other ap with your settings and it always kick in... or at least 90% of times which is good

But then i took off the 2.4ghz radio as i wanted that it roams but with the sticky not with the bandsteer... and well i never could make it work....with those settings..

That part is important because that client wanted to see it working on one band, in his case 2.4ghz band.

And that was the issue im having... if you could suggest me how to make it work it would be awsome!

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: