07-19-13 Expert Day

MVP

Maximum number of users per AP

Hello Tac team!

What would be your recomended users per AP that you would recommend?

For example

If i got a dual band ap like a 105 as far i know its recommended 30 users per band  if they are just browsing and using internet in general.

If the user is using VOIP phones then that would be less maybe 20 users per band?

If they are using IP Camaras? maybe 20 per band also?

What about ip camaras and voip and users? haha

I bealive it all depends on the BW they are using and what kind of application... do you guys got like a formula or something like it?

For example if you using  X BW  per user and Y BW for 2 VOIP phones and 1 IP Camara? the result would be you can use that ap for Z ammount of users

What are your recommendations regarding this?

I also bealive that it also depends on the AP type as for example an AP 61 would be a way less.... maybe less than 15? and now i mention this i had that issue today....  there were 20 users in one ap 61 and there was soo much packet loose in that AP... i recommended the client to change it for a new AP 105  as they are all sharing 54mbs... and they are using internal apps...

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

Re: Maximum number of users per AP

It really depends on the radio and the channel busy. If we have have users on same channel and sharing the bandwidth. 

It is possible to have 30 users for optimal performance. In case you are using Voice , 20 would be ideal. If it is a combination then 12- 15 could give us expected performance.

Thanks,

Preethi

Preethi Devarajan
Sr. Network Engineer
Customer Advocacy | Aruba Networks Inc.
Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution" in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
MVP

Well now you mention that

What would be the channel busy ammount you would see to tell the client, you need another AP!

For the noise part i actually konw that if its less than -80 for example having -78 or something like that there is too much noise and we need to investigate that!

Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

With 6.3, the load balancing would be able to determine what should be the target client per channel,

See below configurable ARM options,

(Aruba) #show rf arm-profile default | include Load
Client Match Load Balancing client threshold                                 10    <--- Target no. of clients to be maintained per radio
Client Match Load Balancing SNR threshold (dB)                          30    <--- Target SNR of neighbor radio, if available clients will be                                                                                                                                            balanced to the new neighbor radio

Barath Srinivasan
Customer Engineering Architect
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution", in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MVP

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the explanaiton Barath and prethi

Alternetworks Corp
Regular Contributor I

[ Edited ]

On the same subject, what about RAP3 and IAP93 ?

Regards

Dimitri

Aruba Employee

We'll need to run this by internally to verify the scale test numbers and update regarading specific ap types.

Barath Srinivasan
Customer Engineering Architect
Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution", in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: