802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Occasional Contributor I

Airprint Issues with Aruba

Hi Everyone! I am trying to set up a few HP e-All-in-one printers on my Aruba wireless network to facilitate the ability to print from iOS devices using Airprint. On my legacy wireless network (netgear/extreme networks) it worked great. On the Aruba gear, you can see the printer from your iPhone or iPad, and hit print, but the job may not print, or may take up to 10 minutes to spool.

I opened up my guest wireless profile and added a policy to open ports UDP 5353 and TCP 631 for Airprint. Prior to doing this, you could not browse the printer at all. So it looks to be working, but just so slow it is unuseable.

Anyone else try to get Airprint working? Care to share any pointers?

Thanks,
Chris
Aruba

Airprint Issues with Aruba

I would examine the command 'show user ip x.x.x.x' where x.x.x.x is an iOS device that is trying to print. The goal is to see what communication is/is not going on.

The command will provide output to show you all source/destination addresses and ports are involved. It will will also provide you with 'permit' or 'deny' status on each.

Worth a look...
Aruba Employee

Re: Airprint Issues with Aruba

What version of Aruba OS are you running on your controller?

Take a look at whether IPv6 is enabled on the either the printers or the devices. I have seen this before and the printers would auto-config a IPv6 address and the device would as well and they would want to print with IPv6...if this is not specifically allowed via the FW, then it will fail or take a really long time for it to fail back to IPv4.
Occasional Contributor I

I am running 5.0.3.2 on my controllers
Guru Elite

Did you run the 'show user ip x.x.x.x' command on the controller's commandline while the device is printing to see what it is trying to do? It is quite possible that it relies on other things to print that we are not allowing access to.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

I did run show user ip
So here's what I see. I see the iOS devices doing a muticast query to 224.0.0.251 and that request retries for over a minute or two before the print job will spool to the printer. I have multicast routing enabled on my network switches, but the printers are on the same wireless SSID and subnet so the switches don't really come into play. The multicast is on ports 6 and 5353

It does deny port 6 - port 5353 is permitted

I will try to open port 6 and see if it helps
Occasional Contributor I

Still no luck - the delay is still maddening - takes 5 min to get a job to print out. The multicast requests, though permitted, still linger as active connections for a long time before the actual connection to the printer is made
Aruba Employee

The multicast should be used for discovering the printer, however the print job itself should be unicast (would be my expectation, I haven't been able to verify this myself). Is the multicast traffic the only traffic shown in the datapath?
Occasional Contributor I

The multicast traffic is the only thing showing for a couple minutes until it finally ends that process and directly connects to the printer.

At this point, I am not sure if it would be a mDNS lookup issue or an Aruba one
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: