802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Contributor II

Apple Ipad Compatabilty

Apple Ipads are on their way and will need to connect to our 802.1x wireless network. Has anyone had any experience or issues with Ipads and wireless? I read Princeton University had banned these devices due to DHCP issues. The issues they described related to the device not giving up expired addresses. I have not seen Aruba certify interoperability like they have with the Iphone. Also, we will ne to connect using WPA2 Enterprise using EAP-TLS. Has anyone had any similar challenges?

Thanks
Aruba Employee

Re: Apple Ipad Compatabilty

There is an app note in the works and should be out shortly, I've left a note for the TME folks who are writing it.
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Hi,

As mentioned in the previous reply, we have done some testing and a app note is in the process of being finished. Once the app note is published I will inform you where to download it.
Reading through the report from Princeton I come to understand this is an issue with the iPad under very specific circumstances and not with the infrastructure. I am afraid there are no actions or changes you could take on the infrastructure side to prevent this from occurring (short of disallowing any push type of protocol forcing the iPad to disconnect from the wireless network not running into the sticky DHCP issue in the first place).

Apple will have to address this issue by fixing the iPad’s behavior, or better said to be RFC complaint releasing (or renewing) the DHCP address even with push type of applications enabled.

The iPad does support EAP-TLS, however the process of configuring EAP-TLS on the iPad is a little more involved. Attached is a step by step instructions guide for EAP-TLS, please review and verify this yourself before publishing to your user community.

Thank you,
Andy
Occasional Contributor II

IPAD and dual radios

I read that another issue with the IPAD is problems with dual radios. since the Aruba APs have the dual radios this might be the issue you will see. Apple's advice until the fix is in a code release is to create a new SSID on a single band for just the IPADs. Not something i want floating on my network, but the IPAD is new and everyone is getting one. we have allowed the IPAD on the guest network and use a mac bypass off of the internal network for connection. this has been a good situation for our network. :cool:
Aruba Employee

Hi John,

Edit, think I was thinking iPhone not iPad.

It could be an issue with multiple SSIDs from multiple radios on different APs, I seem to remember reports of the x-box not liking that at all. Many folks here at Aruba are using their iPads in our dense dual radio environment and from what I can tell it seems to be working fine.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Contributor II

Thanks for the good infromation. You mentioned using a mac-bypass for them on the guest network, can you help me understand this a little more?

I used the Apple Enterprise configuration tool to pre-configure about a dozen iPads so far. The benefit for us is that we can ensure lock policy and dot1x config are as expected. The tool is PC and Mac.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Mac bypass

Since the IPAD (and Iphone) love to shut everything off to save battery our execs did not want to put in thier credentials for the Gusest network all the time. so, we add the mac address of the IPAD to the master controller local-userdb. use the mac address for the username and password and set the role to the guest ssid.
i.e local-userdb add username xx:xx password xx:xx role Guest
then make sure the AAA profile for the guest ssid ( under Configuration-security-authentication-AAA profile-AAA-(guest)) has the MAC authentication profile set.
this includes Delimiter and case. ( we have it set to colon for Delimiter and caps for case. and also the MAC authentication group has the internal database included in the servers group.
the nice thing is that since it is set ont he master the locals will go to the masters internal database for the mac authentication. works very well.:)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: