802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Frequent Contributor II

Limiting the Windows Supplicant to one SSID

I am not sure if this is even possible under the following conditions but I would like to find a way to configure the Windows Supplicant to only allow connection to the SSID I specify. I believe this is possible if the supplicant PC in question has been joined to my Active Directory but unfortunately this is not an option with this group of laptops.

I should also point out that these laptops are not always connecting on Aruba Access Points. Sometimes they're on legacy Cisco Antonymous APs which is why I have do do this on the supplicant.

Does anyone know of a way that I can create some sort of local policy on a Windows XP machine that will allow connection to only the SSID that I specify?

Thanks.
Guru Elite

Local Policy

If you have a local policy that sets up wireless on a non-domain device, can't that policy easily be changed by the administrator of that device?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Limiting the Windows Supplicant to one SSID

Thanks cjosehp,

You are correct.

I guess I should have pointed out that these laptops are to be used by students with the teacher being the only person with admin rights to the box. In theory any way, the students should not be able to change the wireless connection settings. That is once I have figured out how to lock them down.:confused:

Frequent Contributor II

Vista and Win7 have some cool features to do this. I do not know of a way to do this with XP though. I'll post if I find anything.
Guru Elite

Vista and Win 7

Maybe you can still post the Vista and Win 7 ways of doing it. I'm sure everyone's interested...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

oops, yeah that's a good idea. :)

netsh wlan add filter permission=denyall networktype=infrastructure
netsh wlan set blockednetworks display=hide
netsh wlan add filter permission=allow ssid=Your_SSID networktype=infrastructure

According to my research, that limits WLAN to only those SSIDs explicitly allowed. The articles indicated it was to be used in a script but I don't know if it is persistent or not. The "wlan" part of netsh is only available in Vista and Win7.

First rule blocks all infrastructure type SSID
Second rule hides any blocked networks
Last rule indicates an allowed infrastructure SSID

You should be able to block peer to peer. I don't have the exact command but infrastructure is replaced with a different command (peer maybe??).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: