802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Frequent Contributor II

MIC Failed

Validate PMKID not always working?

I have quite a few of these errors in my syslog server

MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station (MAC isn't relevant to discussion).

I have found instances where people indicate enabling "Validate PMKID" fixes this issue. I've not found this to be the case. I don't have a pattern thus far as it appears to happen on all types of Intel wireless cards (2915/3945/5100) on various drivers. It's not always the same client and the client eventually manages to get on the network. We can't create the issue on demand either (don't know what starts it).

Running 3.3.3.3 on SUP2 controllers with AP60/61/65/105/125. (code upgrades are very touchy as we have managed to find bugs which are only discovered in large, high density deployments)

MS IAS radius on Server 2k3 sp2.

Anyone have ideas?
Guru Elite

MIC Failures

I have quite a few of these errors in my syslog server

MIC failed in WPA2 Key Message 2 from Station (MAC isn't relevant to discussion).

I have found instances where people indicate enabling "Validate PMKID" fixes this issue. I've not found this to be the case. I don't have a pattern thus far as it appears to happen on all types of Intel wireless cards (2915/3945/5100) on various drivers. It's not always the same client and the client eventually manages to get on the network. We can't create the issue on demand either (don't know what starts it).

Running 3.3.3.3 on SUP2 controllers with AP60/61/65/105/125. (code upgrades are very touchy as we have managed to find bugs which are only discovered in large, high density deployments)

MS IAS radius on Server 2k3 sp2.

Anyone have ideas?

You should open a case. The other piece in this is the clients involved in the transaction and the specific driver versions, as well as the encryption involved. MIC failure messages are generated for a range of reasons and they are not limited to Validate PMKID. Furreal.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Re: MIC Failed

We had a case open for a suspected radius issue. We have radius consultants coming this week to verify and correct any issues on that end. Once that is done, I will open a ticket if the problems continue to exist (probably will based on data collected thus far). We have a few time out issues as well but we're unable to verify what is timing out (and which end of the auth is involved).
Guru Elite

Radius State

You might want to check out the command "show aaa state configuration" here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=876 to get more info on your radius server.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base