802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Contributor II

New iMac 802.11n issues

We are having trouble with our new iMac's (which come with Lion, but we downgrade to our snow leopard image). They work fine with Lion on them, but with OS X 10.6.8 the wireless only seems to work on b/g but not 'n'. The odd part is I get an IP fine, can ping in or out, but no other protocol/port works. I can't telnet, ssh, ftp, etc... Nothing on port 80 works as well.

System info:
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x9A)
Firmware Version: Atheros 9380: 4.0.35.3
Locale: FCC

AirPort
Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.2.2 (622.2)
configd plug-in: 6.2.5 (625.6)
System Profiler: 6.0.1 (601.1)
Network Preference: 6.2.2 (622.2)
AirPort Utility: 5.5.3 (553.20)
IO80211 Family: 3.2 (320.1)

One odd thing we noticed was the Firmware Version of the en1 card actually is different in Lion (Atheros 9380: 4.0.55-P - I believe it was). Tcpdump on the client shows packets leaving just fine, but a packet capture from the AP isn't showing anything except for random MDNS packets once in a while. If on b/g I'm able to capture all the traffic just fine. I tried to scan other channels to see if anything was acting up - but nothing.

I'm not sure if it works on any other 'n' networks; I don't have any to test with right now. Not sure if anyone else ran into this.
Guru Elite

Re: New iMac 802.11n issues

Try this:

config t
firewall amsdu

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

impressed

Wow, that worked. Do I lose anything if I keep it this way? reliability?

Apple must have made some change I assume - even thought the hardware and software are listed identical to prior iMacs that came with snow leopard.
Occasional Contributor II

Colin,

We ran into this same issue a little while back. TAC had us enable amsdu in the firewall as you suggested, but we never got a good explanation. Is there any information\documentation about this?

Much appreciated!
Pete
Guru Elite

There are two types of 802.11n aggregation, A-MPDU and A-MSDU. Aruba supports A-MPDU by default and it is supported by every other manufacturer. MAC OSX lion only supports A-MSDU and it is not enabled by default on an Aruba controller. In the future, Aruba will have this turned on by default, but for now, the workaround is necessary.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Master Controller or on local controllers

Is that configuration command only applied to the master controller and pushed out to the local controllers, or do I need to apply it to the local controllers also.

Bob
Guru Elite

Do not know. Firewall commands are normally local, so try to apply it. Use "show firewall" to see the status.

Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

Robert - not 100% sure of the correct answer, but it is pretty easy to verify. Go into one of you local controllers via the CLI, go into config mode, then type "firewall amsdu". If the command works, it is a local command. If you get an error, it is a global command that is pushed from the master.

I think it is a local command, but the procedure above will make sure.
Occasional Contributor II

It's definitely a local command. I just went through the process with 24 controllers. Thanks for the thread though. We didn't have anything but 802.11n at this particular location and I hadn't realized yet they would work w/ legacy APs.
Guru Elite

Sorry you had to log into 24 controllers. If you have Airwave, you could have used the on_controllers command here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=2816

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: