802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Occasional Contributor II

Problem with iPhone and Open SSID

Hi All,

I recently discovered an issue which I believe only affects Apple devices connecting to our network. We have an open SSID for guest access and it appears that no apple devices can maintain a connection to this SSID. I've had no issues with Laptops or the small selection of other smartphones I've tried but the few iphones and ipads in the company just do not want to connected to this SSID.

I've looked at a couple of the other iphone threads and below is a link to the user-debug log for my MAC address.

The strange thing is, if i change the SSID profile in my VAP to one using WPA-PSK, the problem goes away. The VAP maintains the same AAA and other profiles so I'm fairly confident it's not an issue with the firewall/user role the phone should get assigned.

I've tried manually assigning the same IP that the device briefly gets but this doesn't help.

FYI - The 192.168.200.174 IP addres is the IP the phone had from the SSID it was just connected too, the 192.168.45.197 IP address is the one assigned to it by DHCP on the controller for the Guest SSID.

http://pastie.org/private/a0i4gkwp8tnbdnffqdhq2g

I've tried this on RAP2s and AP65s, our M3 is running 5.0.2.0

Any help much appreciated, hopefully it will be something simple, i don't mind looking the fool if it can be fixed!

Re: Problem with iPhone and Open SSID

ok...turns out that an iPhone 2G on 3.1.3 firmware does work ok, my iPhone is a 3GS on 4.0.
Guru Elite

Please see if the post here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=8791&postcount=15 helps.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi Colin,

It looks like those are the default settings for me and they are already disabled!

Just to add even more weirdness to this, a friend of mine with a 3G on 4.0 has tried and it works as expected for him!

I will say that my phone is jailbroken and his is not!
Guru Elite

Did your phone EVER work and if so, when did it stop working...?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi Colin,

I'm not sure if my phone ever has, it's never needed to. The phone works with wifi otherwise, just not this particular combination of Aruba AP + Unsecured SSID.

I've since had a few more details of people with problems, a 3G on 3.1.2 (Jailbroken) doesn't work and 3G on 4.1.2 doesn't work either. At the moment, I can't see a correlation.

2G - Jailbroken - 3.1.3 - OK
3G - Jailbroken - 3.1.2 - Not OK
3G - Not JB - 4.1.2 - Not OK
3G - Not JB - 4.0 - OK
3GS - Not JB - 4.0 - Not OK
iPad - Not JB - Unknown - Not OK
Guru Elite

Please open a case so that they can get the details and get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

Will do!

thanks for your help.

Hi,

I have logged this with Aruba, however, in the meantime I have discovered something on my own device which is a workaround for the issue.

All of the other devices I have been able to test work OK, a friend of a colleague came in today with an iPhone 4 and an iPad, both of those devices worked perfectly, I think this issue must only affect a small number of devices, but the way I have mine working is this.

When going in to the connectoin details on the device, there are the options of Auto-Join and Auto-Login. If I disable both of these, disconnect from the SSID and then reconnect, the connection seems to stabilise. I not sure there's anything that Aruba will be able to do about this but perhaps they will try.

As soon as I enable auto-join/login the issue returns, I have seen plenty of issues on google surrounding this feature, however I don't think any like mine. Unfortunately the feature is designed to make using public hotspots easier!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: