802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Regular Contributor I

Recommended 802.11n dual band adapters?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a dual band 802.1n USB adapter that works well with Aruba AP-120 series? Does Aruba "officially" recognize any adapters?

We will be introducing a pilot wireless-only dorm this fall and want to offer something for desktop users and folks with older laptops. We are using AP-125s and will offer a/b/g and n.

Thanks,
Mike Dickson
UMass Amherst
Aruba Employee

Re: Recommended 802.11n dual band adapters?

Mike,

There is at least one listed on the interoperability chart at http://www.arubanetworks.com/support/interoperability.php, there are a number of PCMCIA adapters as well which should work for the laptops or a desktop with an adapter card.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Guru Elite

Netgear WNDA 3100

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a dual band 802.1n USB adapter that works well with Aruba AP-120 series? Does Aruba "officially" recognize any adapters?

We will be introducing a pilot wireless-only dorm this fall and want to offer something for desktop users and folks with older laptops. We are using AP-125s and will offer a/b/g and n.

Thanks,
Mike Dickson
UMass Amherst

Mike,

Try the Netgear WNDA3100. For a card that has been out so long, Netgear has drivers from February 2009, so it looks like they are making an attempt to keep their product up to date. I have had good results, with the card, provided that I did not install their client software. I'm sure I have not done half the testing that you intend to do with it, so take my recommendations as "good enough" until you gather data for yourself.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

Thanks Colin and Andy.

Thanks Andy for pointing me toward to Aruba's most helpful interoperability page. I plan to purchase and test the Linksys WUSB600N and WPC600N options.

FWIW it appears that the Netgear WNDA3100 is actually a USB adapter and NOT a PCMCIA card as noted on Aruba's interop page. Also, the Netgear WN511T PCMCIA card, while it is N-capable, is only for the 2.4Ghz frequency. Aruba's interop page lists the WN511T as 802.11 a/b/g/n mode.

According to Netgear's website they do not offer a dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n PCMCIA card.

I might be worth updating the interop page to reflect this. Of course check this first. I have a 20 day old baby and have not been myself lately. :eek:

Mike
Aruba Employee

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update, I'll let the team know and get the page updated. Congratulations on the new baby, hopefully you'll get some sleep soon :)

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Occasional Contributor II

Personally I use a linksys wusb600N for testing. It's designed for windows and OSX, but it also works with the latest linux kernel without installing any drivers. We have AP125's. http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WUSB600N
Guru Elite

Linksys WUSB600N

GWilliams,

I had someone relate to me that the Linksys WUSB600N does not roam well. What's even worse is that the drivers have not been updated for awhile. What is your experience with roaming on that card?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

HI Colin,

Do you know if the person who said the Linksys WUSB600N didn't roam well used the vendor software or Windows to manage their card?

We plan to purchase a batch on USB adapters (geez, was going to be the Linksys but now I don't know..) and give them to needy students in our first wireless-only dorm this fall. We have a CP ssid and a new 802.1x ssid (PAP, EAP-TTLS).

We are supporting SecureW2 for Windows clients, have a custom .exe package for it, and are considering just advising users to install drivers only but let Windows manage the card.

Thanks all for the info!

Mike
Guru Elite

Wusn600n

The person tried both, but tried the Linksys software out of desperation and frustration. When he reached Linksys support they basically said it was designed for the home where there would is NO roaming. That plus no updated drivers means that Linksys is not positioning this as an enterprise or even prosumer product. As Jim Cramer on Mad Money says --- "Don't Buy!"

Proxim, however has come out with their own ABGN USB adapter and I have not had a chance to test it: http://www.proxim.com/products/cp/802.11_USBAdapter.html This looks like it is positioned for the enterprise and CDW looks like it is stocking it now. If you test this, please let us know.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor II

I have no problem under XP or linux while roaming from one access point to another (wusb600n). Maybe the other person didn't have fast reconnect turned on on their radius server. I use the windows manager and only have driver, not the software, installed. I've always hated linksys, but this card works well. The signal strength is excellent. We have 2 ssid's one uses CP and the other uses 802.1x PEAP.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: