802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Occasional Contributor II

Weird problem authenticating some client machines

Curious if anyone else has seen this weird problem and knows how to fix it.

We have an Aruba 620 controller, corporate WLAN authenticates via RADIUS (IAS) and all works well with most clients. I've come across a couple of machines (Dell machines with Intel Wireless LAN utility) that exhibit the following behaviour:

Clients can connect to WLAN fine via the Intel Wireless LAN Utility, as soon as it is turned off and WZC takes over, the process sticks at validating identity - no ip address obtained via dhcp, nothing appears in RADIUS logs to suggest client is even attempting to authenticate. Switch back to WLAN utility, boom - it all works again!

Need to sort this out - users of these PCs want the VIA client but obviously this will only work with WZC.

Any pointers??? Great forum BTW! ;)
Aruba Employee

Questions

James,
First a few questions:

1. Are these computers members of a Windows Domain?
2. Are you doing WPA2-AES? I'm guessing you are.
3. Are you trying to authenticate as users or computers?

Thanks,
Zach
Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Guru Elite

Re: Weird problem authenticating some client machines

Curious if anyone else has seen this weird problem and knows how to fix it.

We have an Aruba 620 controller, corporate WLAN authenticates via RADIUS (IAS) and all works well with most clients. I've come across a couple of machines (Dell machines with Intel Wireless LAN utility) that exhibit the following behaviour:

Clients can connect to WLAN fine via the Intel Wireless LAN Utility, as soon as it is turned off and WZC takes over, the process sticks at validating identity - no ip address obtained via dhcp, nothing appears in RADIUS logs to suggest client is even attempting to authenticate. Switch back to WLAN utility, boom - it all works again!

Need to sort this out - users of these PCs want the VIA client but obviously this will only work with WZC.

Any pointers??? Great forum BTW! ;)

I have to say, after much pain, force your users to use WZC. There is no end to the random issues if you let them mix and match. In addition you can use group policy to push the settings to WZC, while with Intel Proset, you cannot.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

It works with the Intel supplicant, but not with WZC?

Sounds like Windows is either trying to validate a certificate that it can't (self signed or using a private pki perhaps?), or Windows WZC is doing it's favorite thing of trying to machine auth when you don't have that configured.

As much as I hate WZC, cjoseph has a very strong point in standardizing on the supplicant(s) you support. It will make life much easier.

Thanks for the replies - to answer the questions:

1. Are these computers members of a Windows Domain? YES
2. Are you doing WPA2-AES? I'm guessing you are. YES
3. Are you trying to authenticate as users or computers? User - although have enabled machine auth too as part of the troubleshooting

Assuming I can fix this, the idea is to force all users to use WZC - agree that a mishmash of utilities is not the way to go!! But kind of stuck until I can find a way round this.
MVP

I'd agree with the above and recommend to uninstall the Intel Wireless LAN Utility, reboot and test it again. Check the IAS logs as it should show something.

The following will show you what's occuring with the authentication request:
show auth-tracebuf | include

If it doesn't authenticate and nothing shows up in the IAS log do the above while the client is attempting to connect and post back here with results.
Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------
-------------------------------------------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.

Thank you so much for all your input - sound advice, seems that removing any third party utility has solved the problem in the two devices tried so far.

Hopefully the rest will follow suit - great work guys

thanks!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: