802.11 Client Device Interoperability

Frequent Contributor I

Windows 7 clients, broadcom wifi - packet loss

We have just deployed our new Aruba network, and I am loving it, but we are seeing some odd issues but they do not happen that often, and it only is effecting our windows 7 machines. A user tries to login, and it says invalid username or password... so I log into the machine as the local admin, everything looks fine, logs are clean...

Test network connectivity, and do some pings on the local network and latency is through the roof 300-400ms, and 40-60% packet loss. Signal strength is excellent, and I am not seeing anything odd in the aruba logs (though I may not know exactly where to look). If I turn off the wireless, and then turn it back on, everything is fixed... 1ms pings, and zero packet loss.

EDIT: This is also happening on our Atheros AR9285 devices.

What trouble shooting tips do you all rec.

Thanks,
Dan
Guru Elite

Two different things

You just mentioned two different things:

1. username and password incorrect

2. packet loss and high pings

For #1, you need to go into the eventviewer on the your radius server and see exactly why it says you failed authentication

For #2, you need to make sure the drivers are up to date. Also, make sure you don't have wired and wireless clients in the same VLAN, because that will cause interference, lag, etc. It could also be a number of other things....

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Re: Windows 7 clients, broadcom wifi - packet loss

You just mentioned two different things:

1. username and password incorrect

2. packet loss and high pings

For #1, you need to go into the eventviewer on the your radius server and see exactly why it says you failed authentication

For #2, you need to make sure the drivers are up to date. Also, make sure you don't have wired and wireless clients in the same VLAN, because that will cause interference, lag, etc. It could also be a number of other things....

The username and password thing is the windows login - we are just using PSK for now, and testing 802.1x over the next 6 months.

We are running the latest drivers... we are planning on moving all our wifi users to seperate VLANs as we speak, so I will see if we are still seeing the issues once we do that. I have never heard of that issue, nor have we seen it before.

The odd thing is that I am not seeing it on our Vista machines (same hardware).

Will do some more investigating...

-Dan

Also, you may want to check and see if disabling any power-save features on the client (if that's an option) to see if ping and PL improve.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Frequent Contributor I

Moving our students to their own Vlan seems to resolve the problem... Still not sure the cause. I am sure I will have a better handle on this after we get all our laptops deployed...

-Dan
Guru Elite

Wired + Wireless

Wired + Wireless clients together does not bode well for wireless clients. Wireless clients back off in the presence of traffic, while wired clients can transmit at line speed.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

yeah and the problems gets worse when the clients would go into low power mode... things would just get kookie...

Now they are on a vlan everything is groovy :)

-Dan
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: