Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

AP 105 in Bridge Mode

Hello,

I have created an AP Group where the AP's should let our DHCP server distribute IP's and not the controllers DHCP server. So i've put the forwarding mode in Bridged mode

I have created a VLAN 20 and I think you should give parameter of the DHCP helper address. But my questions are:
How do you give this DCHP helper address to the AP?
The VLAN I have created, do you have to give this an IP also?

If I look to the APs on the controller, it says that the status of the AP is down and denied?

Thanks for your time

Regards
Gerrit
Aruba

AP 105 in Bridge Mode

You don't need to put an AP in 'bridge mode' in order for your corporate DHCP server to hand out IP addresses. Tunnel mode would work. Once in tunnel, if you want the corp DHCP server to hand out addresses, just configure IP helper(s) under Configuration/IP/Edit VLAN 20 and then top right corner of that screen will have options for IP Helpers. If you want a given VLAN to have a helper configured, then yes you need to give it an IP address (L3 VLAN).

When in bridge mode, clients should get DHCP from the local LAN rather than through the controller.

Re: AP 105 in Bridge Mode

You don't need to put an AP in 'bridge mode' in order for your corporate DHCP server to hand out IP addresses. Tunnel mode would work. Once in tunnel, if you want the corp DHCP server to hand out addresses, just configure IP helper(s) under Configuration/IP/Edit VLAN 20 and then top right corner of that screen will have options for IP Helpers. If you want a given VLAN to have a helper configured, then yes you need to give it an IP address (L3 VLAN).

When in bridge mode, clients should get DHCP from the local LAN rather than through the controller.

This is what we would like to do, because the ARUBA controller is in another segment of our network.
The local LAN should take care of the distribution of the IP addresses of the clients that are connecting to this AP
Aruba

AP 105 in Bridge Mode

Thanks.

The 'local AP' won't take care of the addresses, the bridge mode designates that the AP will put the DHCP broadcasts (like all traffic) directly onto the local LAN segment in the VLAN specified in the Virtual-AP profile for that Wireless LAN.

If you already have the AP configured in Bridge, and virtual AP profile in VLAN 20, I would sniff the traffic at the AP port and see if you can locate the DHCP transactions going in/out as a starting point.

Thanks.

The 'local AP' won't take care of the addresses, the bridge mode designates that the AP will put the DHCP broadcasts (like all traffic) directly onto the local LAN segment in the VLAN specified in the Virtual-AP profile for that Wireless LAN.

If you already have the AP configured in Bridge, and virtual AP profile in VLAN 20, I would sniff the traffic at the AP port and see if you can locate the DHCP transactions going in/out as a starting point.

When I see the packets with wireshark, the dhcp discover doesn't get an answer.
And after some time the autoconfiguration IP 169.254.6.76 is selected by the pc that is trying to connect to this AP.
Then is see a name query to all of our servers?
So the DHCP server doesn't hand out an IP address to this PC?
Aruba

AP 105 in Bridge Mode

Where are you doing the wireshark? I assume on the client....which is a good first step, but not where you want to stop ;) Do a wireshark on the physical port that the AP is connecting to. The idea is to prove/dis-prove that the DHCP DISCOVER is being emitted on that port from the AP (thus from the client).

If the transaction gets this far(e.g. you see the discover on the LAN PORT capture AND the Client capture), you have a DHCP server and/or LAN issue to work out.

If the transaction does not get this far (e.g. you DO NOT see the discover on the LAN PORT capture BUT you do on the Client capture),, you have a WLAN issue to work out.

I have found the solution.
I started in a wrong way.
In fact bridge mode is the most easy mode to configure a AP group in.
Or this is the mode that you need to configure the least params.
There is no need to configure a VLAN for this group, since the local DHCP server is taking care of doing this.
So I must be confused when I asked this question.

Thank you for taking your time anyway.

Best regards
Gerrit
Guru Elite

I have found the solution.
I started in a wrong way.
In fact bridge mode is the most easy mode to configure a AP group in.
Or this is the mode that you need to configure the least params.
There is no need to configure a VLAN for this group, since the local DHCP server is taking care of doing this.
So I must be confused when I asked this question.

Thank you for taking your time anyway.

Best regards
Gerrit

Torenhof,

Please tell us the steps that you took to configure this.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

I've created an AP group
A VAP has been created without a VLAN assigned to it.
The forwarding mode is Bridged.

I created the AAA profile and an SSID profile with a PSK Passphrase
So the client can just connect to this WLAN and then it get's it IP from our domain DHCP server

I know that securitywise this isn't ideal, but for the moment it's working and I can test it.

So after thinking it over once again, this is easy to set up.

regards
Torenhof
Guru Elite

Torenhof,

Thank you.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: