Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

AP-105 mounting without brackets?

The AP-105 has holes to mount it on ceilings/walls without buying a bracket, which looks like it would work great, except that there isn't room to plug a standard Ethernet cable into the back when it is so close to the ceiling.

So, a few questions?

1. Has anyone found any "low profile" or "right angle" etc ethernet cables that can be plugged in while the AP-105 is attached directly to a hard surface (like drywall)?
2. Has anyone come up with a way to mount the AP-105 to a wall or ceiling without buying the AP-105-MNT mounting brackets?

In case you can't tell, I'm having a hard time bringing myself to spend 10%+ of the AP cost on mounting brackets.
Contributor II

Re: AP-105 mounting without brackets?

The AP-105 has holes to mount it on ceilings/walls without buying a bracket, which looks like it would work great, except that there isn't room to plug a standard Ethernet cable into the back when it is so close to the ceiling.

So, a few questions?

1. Has anyone found any "low profile" or "right angle" etc ethernet cables that can be plugged in while the AP-105 is attached directly to a hard surface (like drywall)?
2. Has anyone come up with a way to mount the AP-105 to a wall or ceiling without buying the AP-105-MNT mounting brackets?

In case you can't tell, I'm having a hard time bringing myself to spend 10%+ of the AP cost on mounting brackets.

If you have a drop ceiling you can mount the APs directly to the t-bar without any parts. We do this and then poke a small hole through the ceiling tile for the network cable.
Aruba Employee

If your ceiling tiles are flush with the T-grid, then no mount kit is needed as the AP clips directly to the T-grid and is flush.

If the tiles are dropped slightly (usually anywhere from 3-7 mm depending on type), then the "mount kit" is really just a spacer. You *CAN* mount the AP directly onto the T-grid here, but it pushes up the tiles and doesn't look nice. The AP mount kit to use here is the AP-105-MNT-C. List price is $15. It's basically a spacer that clips to the T-grid and the AP snaps to the spacer/mount. Pretty straight foward.

In either scenario here, the cable is passed through a small hole in the tile.

Regarding wall mount, the mounting kit is called the AP-105-MNT. It has two cradles, one that is more flush with the wall assuming it's going on a wall gang box, and one that is spaced out with enough room for cable pass through. List price for this kit is $35.

For the record, that's only 5% of AP list price cost...not over 10%. :)
Aruba Employee

Try designing your own -preferebly metal- mounting bracket with the optional key lock... There are companies dealing with these kind of "on demand" metal works ;)
New Contributor

This website may help with the cables you're looking for.

http://www.vpi.us/cat6-right-angle.html

We've also been making our own wall mounts since December with a flat piece of metal/aluminum, two inside threaded rods, 2 washers, and 4 screws.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: