Access Points

New Contributor

AP-105's not letting clients get IP via DHCP

Over the weekend two of our AP-105's started malfunctioning. They come online, and allow clients to associate, but then the clients never get an IP address via DHCP. We replaced the two malfunctioning units with spares that we had on hand. The spares are working normally in those two locations.

Is this a problem that anyone else has run into with the AP-105? I do have a ticket open with Aruba on this. So far their only recommendation has been to purge the configuration and set them up again. That has made no change.

Just curious if anyone else out there using 105's have run into something like this before or not.
Occasional Contributor II

Re: AP-105's not letting clients get IP via DHCP

Also try to manually assign ip to the AP. Try to ping it from controller once the AP is up. Use the b/m commands to achieve this:

setenv ipaddr x.x.x.x
setenv netmask x.x.x.x
setenv gatewayip x.x.x.x
setenv serverip x.x.x.x
setenv master x.x.x.x
save
boot

If this doesnt help, try to assign static ip to client & associate with the AP. Ping DHCP server afterwards. View ap & user logs for further troubleshooting

I'm starting to see a similar issue.
The controller is getting the DHCP Discover request but not returning the OFFER; only continuous Discover atttempts are showing up in the debug logs.

The AP105's have been a problem since the recent IOS update, infact we had to rip them down and reset them due to a bad previous update. I think its another flaw. We are currently at V 5.0.2.1

Testing with a static IP seems to be OK.
The debug shows the correct VLAN and should use the DCHP pool.
Leases are set at 30 minutes and there are addresses available.

Sample debug:
ec 29 11:19:51 :202534: |dhcpdwrap| |dhcp| Datapath vlan10: DISCOVER 00:16:01:37:c3:09
Dec 29 11:20:27 :202541: |dhcpdwrap| |dhcp| Received DHCP packet from Datpath, sos msg hdr flags 0x40 opcode 0x5a ingress 0x108f vlan 10
Guru Elite

Please open a case so that they can get to the bottom of your issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Hi, i don't know if someone fixed this, but i have a similar issue. The diference is that we are able to get IP address from the DHCP but only when i open a rule "any any svc-dhcp permit" in the policy associated to the role.
Do you guys think this is related?
Guru Elite

You have to permit DHCP in the role for clients to get ip addresses period. If you add that rule and it works, that was your problem.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Hi,

I have this problem of not getting IP for clients from some AP-105s, after resetting the AP, it works fine for some time.

We are running ArubaOS 5.0.3.0. What I've seen so far is that the client machine shows in the AP connected client list, but with an 169.x.x.x address (the same the client has) and my dhcp server did not have any lease to the client.

I tried disabling the wi-fi on the client but the AP continues to show the client is connected.

We saw the same issue yesterday. I have a case open with TAC. The APs are all 105s, except for one 125. The AOS is v3.4. The setup for this building has been working for about 4 – 5 months without issue. The APs are getting IPs from the controller with no problem. Client DHCP is served by a separate DHCP server (not the controller). There are two SSIDs / VLANs going to this building. One SSID is secure and one SSID is open. The secure SSID continues to work without problem. The controller is functioning at layer 2 for the open SSID. Yesterday, the clients on the open SSID could associate with the controller, but did not receive an IP address. We saw the DHCP discover / request getting to the DHCP server and the DHCP offer being sent out by the DHCP server. The wireless clients never received the DHCP offer. After many checks, we rebooted the controller and all began working again. What would cause the controller to suddenly allow part of the DHCP exchange, but block the other part?
Guru Elite

Did you do a wireless packet capture to see what was being sent out to the clients from the access points? It is possible that a client might have taken the address of the default gateway, either purposely or accidentally, so traffic could not be routed back to the clients?

Colin Joseph

I did perform a capture on the client and saw no DHCP offers. The client timed out and set a self-assigned IP (169.254)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: