New Contributor

AP 105 vs 125

What is the main difrence between these two... Why would I buy one verses the other besides pricing. the only diffrence I can see is that the 105 has a 2x2 antenna and the 125 has 3x3
Contributor II

Re: AP 105 vs 125

There's a bunch of data in one of the presentations given at the recent AirHeads conference - http://www.arubanetworks.com/downloads/airheads/Aruba_AH_2010_Maximizing_11n_Performance.zip (from http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1895)

Summary of points:
* The AP125s will give you marginally better performance. (See slide 5 of that deck.)
* The AP105 is optimized for ceiling mounting. The antennas are internal and as such you don't get much coverage "backwards" through the rear metal plate of the AP. The external antennas on the 125 make it better suited to wall mounting than the 105.
* The AP105 will always fit in the standard 15.4W 802.3af envelope. The AP125 may (but are unlikely to) slightly exceed that. I haven't heard of anyone running into problems, but it's specs list maximum as 16W. As a result you may run into problem if you are using both network jacks and both radios at full power.

At my site we've gone with AP105s. We didn't feel the marginal gains in performance were worth the price differential.

Guru Elite

Blinking APS

No matter which APs you decide to get, AP105, 125 or 5WN, you can also make them blink to identify them using the command here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1451

Just one more reason to get 802.11n APs......

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanx for the input guys. You totally confirmed my thoughts on this. I did not factor in the power output. Thanks for the help.:D
Contributor II

Just to clarify, I haven't heard of any situations where the AP125 has actually exceeded the 15.4W power envelope of 802.3af. It's possible according to the specs, but I haven't heard of anyone actually running into it.

Contributor I

Ethernet connector

Just as an aside, what was the thinking on the ethernet connector placement???

The thing is out the back. Using the on-board screw terminals or ceiling mounts will crush the cable if not outright break it.

Someone making 90 degree rj-45 connectors now? How are you guys hanging these things? By the cable? It looks like if you have a solid ceiling or wall these can't work. (IMHO)
Contributor II

Just as an aside, what was the thinking on the ethernet connector placement???

The thing is out the back. Using the on-board screw terminals or ceiling mounts will crush the cable if not outright break it.

Someone making 90 degree rj-45 connectors now? How are you guys hanging these things? By the cable? It looks like if you have a solid ceiling or wall these can't work. (IMHO)

All of mine are mounted on drop ceilings. At that point I simply poke a hole in the tile right above the AP and bring the cable down through the hole.

Additionally the AP65s used a similar arrangement (network jack on the back). I have some of those solid wall mounted. The Aruba mounting kit includes a bracket for solid wall mounting that moves the AP a little bit away from the wall to allow the cable to bend into the back of the AP.
Contributor I

Seems like drop ceiling is about it. I'm not sure that a tight bend like that will be a permanent installation. We'll see going forward.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: