Access Points

Regular Contributor I

AP-125s MAC info on Cisco switches

Hi all,

Not sure if this is an Aruba issue or a Cisco "feature" but I wanted to ask if anyone else is seeing this phenomenon. When our AP's get powered up their MAC address is displayed briefly in the switch MAC table (using sh mac address-table command) but then disappears. Occasionally they come back if we keep refreshing the command.

I'm not sure if the switch is pruning the MAC table due to AP inactivity or if there is something else going on. This is all occuring when the APs are in pre-provisioning state. The switches here are Cisco 2960s.

We're basically trying to run a script that scrapes the MAC addresses off the switch ports and verifies location against our database.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

An example:
gorm-sw-222-101#sh mac address-table interface f0/7
Mac Address Table
-------------------------------------------

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports
---- ----------- -------- -----
586 0024.6cc3.fff6 DYNAMIC Fa0/7
Total Mac Addresses for this criterion: 1
gorm-sw-222-101#

Shortly becomes:

gorm-sw-222-101#sh mac address-table interface f0/7
Mac Address Table
-------------------------------------------

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports
---- ----------- -------- -----
gorm-sw-222-101#
Aruba Employee

Re: AP-125s MAC info on Cisco switches

Michael,

It sounds like the AP is rebooting. Do you have a master discovery method in place ("aruba-master" in DNS (resolvable by the scope the APs are getting), DHCP option 43 or is the controller on the same subnet as the APs)?
Regular Contributor I

Re: AP-125s MAC info on Cisco switches

You're right. I forgot to emention that the switch has 24 APs on it. There is one particular AP that is in a funky state and is constantly rebooting (gets an IP address but never phones home like the rest) . This is causing a topology change on the switch port and wiping the MAC table.

We just did a 'shut' on that port and will watch to see if the MAC table is stable. We'll swap the errant AP out as well.

We do use 'aruba-master' in DNS for master discovery for all of our APs.

Thanks,
Mike
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: