Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

AP-65 Not Getting Configuration

Good Afternoon All

I am setting up a test domain that is totally unattached to my current domain. On this domain I would like to have a wireless portion that can be used for wireless testing. We have a 3600 Controller with AP-65 access points. I VLANed one of the available ports to use with this domain. The domain and controller port are on the same vlan (99). I gave the vlan on the controller an ip address and I am able to ping it from the domain controller of this domain. When I plug in an AP to the switch with everything else it gets an IP from the DHCP scope on this test domain but never receives its conf from the wireless controller. Is there something special that needs to be configured for the ap to receive the config?

Thanks
Ed
Aruba Employee

Re: AP-65 Not Getting Configuration

A few things you can look at/try:

• On your DHCP server do you see the AP getting an IP address?
  • If you do a 'show ap database long' on the controller is the AP showing up, and if so what's the state?
  • Do you have the licenses installed on the 3600?
  • The AP is plugged into a port on the switch, is the port in the same VLAN as the controller? You said you had changed one port but did you change the rest?
  • Have you tried to purge the AP?

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

Did you provision the AP on the controller?
Aruba Employee

Or possibly had you already configured the AP to a group that does not exist on the controller? If it's defaulted it should simply receive the default group from the controller, but if you had it in another location in a group that doesn't exist on the controller it will just stay in a mismatched state. That is why I was wondering about the output of the AP database command.

Let us know when you get a chance,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks

Thanks for the reply Andy.....Here is what I see in regards to your questions:

1) Yes the DHCP Server on this domain is registering the AP and giving an IP Address but it is renewing every 3 minutes or so, like it is rebooting constantly

2) The AP is not showing up on AP DB LONG command

3) I have license for 96 APs but only have 48 installed

4) The port the AP, Server and console are all plugged into ports that are VLANed the same. The port on the console is VLANed and IPed for this network as well.

5) How do you purge the AP????

Any thoughts?

This AP is new out of the box so should pickup the default config, right?
Aruba Employee

Yes, it should grab the default config.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
New Contributor

Same Issue

Was there a fix for this issue? I also am having the same issue with the AP60 and the AP65. Currently setup on the 3600 controller and we have 14 AP85's setup with the wireless mesh license. I also have several AP70's that all config straight from the controller when they were first plugged in.

Controller OS is running version 3.4.1.0

The AP60 and 65 both will reboot after 3 minutes of not getting a config file.
Aruba

Next Steps

To debug on the AP60/65 I would recommend using the SPOE cable and you can capture the output to a terminal program using 9600 8N1

The output will reveal how part the APs are getting in the process. A reboot 'every 3 minutes' tells me they are not finding their controller at all.

Curious to see if the terminal output indicates differently. If the APs are not finding the controller you can hard code the controller's IP on one of them as a test.
Guru Elite

discovery method

What discovery method are you using?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: