Occasional Contributor I

AP congestion

Hello all!

I'm the network admin at a K-12 school in Denmark.We're using an Aruba 3200 controller running OS 5.0.0.1.
We have a number of classrooms, each with an AP-105. The classrooms are located right beside each other with only thin walls in between. All AP's are part of the same AP group, thus having the same configuration.

When many users are on the system, it often happens that one of the APs has an excessive amount of clients associated (35-60), while the neighboring AP's have only very few clients associated (0-5). Even clients from the floor below seem to associate to that particular AP, even though there's an AP close by on the same floor that has only a few clients on it!?

I was under the impression that the controller would spread out the clients to neighboring AP's to prevent such congestions. Is that assumption false? What could be preventing the controller from doing so?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Guru Elite

Re: AP congestion

That is natural client behavior that is based on a number of factors. Spectrum load balancing can help deal with this: http://kb.arubanetworks.com/cgi-bin/arubanetworks.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1030

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Colin, thanks for your quick reply!

SLB is already enabled on the 802.11a and 802.11g radio profiles.

Could you possible elaborate on the factors that might cause this client behaviour?
Guru Elite

Spectrum load balancing is not enabled by default. Was it always enabled? Please see the article here: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1910 for a detailed explanation of how it works and to verify functionality and configuration.

Even with Spectrum Load Balancing, sometimes the access points are not close enough together to be considered neighbors and Spectrum Load Balancing will not occur. Later in the thread above, there is a command to influence the behavior. Changes have been made over time with Spectrum Load Balancing and that may also depend on your level of code. Please let us know what level of code you have and what types of clients you are servicing.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Spectrum Load Balancing was enabled in the profile that our partner delivered with the controller. I have verified at configuration from the article you mentioned.

Next time we experience the issue, I will use the info from the article to diagnose further and post any pertinent results here.

Thanks for all the help!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: