Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

AP switchports flapping

Hi there, I have an issue where we are seeing the switchports on various types of cisco switches ( POE and Non-POE ) flap. We will get an error and then trace it back to the switchport that the AP is connected to and see that the port flapped for a couple of seconds. This is not consistent with a couple of AP's but various AP's at different site's each site has it own set of controller's. I have seen other threads and have looked at some of the commands that were suggested
"show ap debug system-status ap-name XXX" which shows no missed heartbeats
"sh ap debug counters group" that output in consistent
"sh log network" no interface resets happening
with the POE ports going down I will see an error in the controller that says "reboot reason unknown"

All our ports are set auto/auto - not sure if that has an effect, we have around 3000 AP's between all the sites and didn't want to change them all to see what happens.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Guru Elite

reboot reason unknown

When the reboot reason is unknown, that means that the power was yanked and it didn't log anything. If it was just one AP, I would say check that AP to make sure it works. Since it is happening to multiple APs, I would check the logs on the switches to see if it says anything about what went on when the link went down. What kinds of Cisco switches are these?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: AP switchports flapping

The switches range from cisco 3750, 3650, 2950 which are the majority of the switches. The logs in the switch just show that

Mar 3 12:50:32 MST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/3, changed state to down
Mar 3 12:50:33 MST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/3, changed state to down
Mar 3 12:50:35 MST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/3, changed state to up
Mar 3 12:50:36 MST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/3, changed state to up
Guru Elite

What version of Code

What version of ArubaOS is this?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: AP switchports flapping

We are in the middle of changing IOS, this issue existing before the change out as well as now. some controllers are on 3.3.2.13 and a few are upgraded to 3.4.1.1

Thnks
Guru Elite

Quickest Answer

You would probably get the quickest answer if you open a case. You have quite a few variables and support will look at them as a whole and get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor II

Cable length

Would you have a fluke to check measure the cable length from the AP to switchport? I have seen AP's uplink is flapping and not negotiated properly due to cable length is at 400 ft. It maybe worth to check it out.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: