Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

AP105 Unable to find master loop

I have a 3600 controlller setup with several Ap105'S. They have the same setup and work properly:

AP Group: assigned
Host Controller Name : us1wlanmgt
Static IP address is set

AP name is changed.

Recently, I did the exact same setup and the AP105 continues to go into a loop stating the master can not be found.

If I set the Master Controller IP Address/DNS name to us1wlanmgt, then it works properly. Why is an optional feild required in a single controller setup?

I'm also new with working with Aruba, the Network Admin handed me this project. Is there any good documentation to read on how the controller and the AP operate together?
Guru Elite

Re: AP105 Unable to find master loop

What is your discovery method? dns, dhcp option, broadcasts? If you use a static ip address for APs, you should put a static ip address for the master controller, instead of a dns name.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

We use static IP's. The network admin started using dns entries for the first 40 of these and want everyone to be the same.

We use DNS, I thought if you only had one controller, then the AP will get the master controller from the host controller field.
Aruba Employee

Jason,

What version of code are you using? In 5.0.3.x and higher (up to 6.1.2.1), there is a timeout of 10 seconds on the master discovery. Prior to 5.0.3 and after 6.1.2.1 (6.1.2.2 will be released in the next few weeks), the timeout goes back to 60 seconds. If you have static IP addresses and spanning-tree port-fast is DISABLED (normal 45 second spanning tree listening/learning/forwarding cycle), the master discovery will time-out and the AP will reboot continually. Enable spanning-tree port-fast if this is your case.

If not, make sure you have the DNS suffix set correctly. To check this, plug your laptop into the wired port where the AP connects, let it get an IP address and then ping the master name. Make sure it is resolvable. If not, add the right suffix to the APs (or whatever needs to be done).
Occasional Contributor I

We are using 5.0.3.3.

I'm looking into the port fast option. It would explain why some of our AP's work and others do not at the same location. I did a test with one AP. In one location it was online at the switch (green light) within seconds, where as on another switch it took nearly a minute.

I will post our results.
Occasional Contributor I

OK, turning on portfast worked in my lab area. My next question is, can you manaully change the the timeout on the device using the setenv commmand?

I know a solution would be to just use static IP's on the device, but this is coming from my manager. We do not have access to all the switches globally to turn on portfast.

Thanks for all the help!
Aruba Employee

Unfortunately, the timeout is hard coded. It will be set back to 60 seconds in 6.1.2.2 and higher (AFAIK). The options are:

1. turn on port-fast
2. use DHCP (since the AP wont try master discovery until it gets an IP address and it wont get an address until spanning-tree has gone into forwarding mode)
Contributor I

We use static IP's. The network admin started using dns entries for the first 40 of these and want everyone to be the same.

We use DNS, I thought if you only had one controller, then the AP will get the master controller from the host controller field.

That is correct. In a single controller setup the "Host Switch Name" should also be used as the "Master Switch". If you are having to put both the entries to bring an AP up, it is probably a BUG on that code.
Occasional Contributor I

Well, the plot thickens. We did try putting in the DNS as both the host and controller and it worked for our USA site. It did not work for Mexico. If we used IP then it works properly. Sounds like we will use IP's for now as we do not have access to all sites switches to turn on portfast.

Great forum. Thanks for the help. Even Aruba Support was clueless when "helping" me.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: