Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

AP125 bad signal

Hello

I got three buildings, that is equally built.

In two of these buildings i got a AP61 and in one of these i got an AP125.
The problem is that the signal from the AP61 is perfekt, but its useless from the AP125.

Im aware of AP125 is a N-standard AP, so i guess im gonna try deactivate N from this AP. But how do i do? Or is there any other solution?
I got ArubaOS 5.0.2.1.

Thanks,
Johan

Re: AP125 bad signal

I found this knowledge base article:

How do I disable high-throughput (HT) mode for an AP that supports 802.11n?
Question
How do I disable high-throughput (HT) mode for an AP that supports 802.11n?
Answer

Product and Software: This article applies to all Aruba controllers and Aruba APs that can support 802.11n. This article applies to ArubaOS 3.3 and later.

You might have APs that support 802.11n, but you do not yet want to enable high-throughput (HT) mode (40 MHz channel). To disable HT mode on a per SSID basis or a per radio basis, make the following configuration changes.

To disable HT mode for the whole radio, make the following configuration change to the relevant radio profile:

rf dot11a-radio-profile "no_HT"
no high-throughput-enable

and apply it to the relevant AP group:

ap-group "default"
dot11a-radio-profile no_HT

To disable HT mode on a per SSID basis, make the following configuration change to the relevant HT SSID profile:

wlan ht-ssid-profile no_HT
no high-throughput-enable

and apply it to the relevant SSID profile:

wlan ssid-profile legacy
ht-ssid-profile no_HT

But I rather wanna have AP-specific config, since I only have one AP125 and will not buy anymore of this particular model. Is this possible somehow?

Thanks,
Johan

This is the configurations i did.

I made two new profiles for both a and g.

All Profiles > RF Management > 802.11a radio profile / 802.11g radio profile
Named "no_HT", with the setting "High throughput enable (radio)" disabled.

Then i created a new ap-group and used the two new radio profiles.

Am I doing any mistake here?

When i provision the AP125 into this newly created group i get "none" below ".bg HT Mode" and ".a HT Mode"

What does HT mode do anyway? is the N-standard just a shell on the previous .bg- and .a-standards? Havnt read up on the N-standard yet, how it acctually works.

// Johan
Guru Elite

Before you do anymore, why are you saying that the signal from the AP125 is useless? Is there alot of interference from other access points in the Area? Do you have other devices that cause interference, like microwave ovens, wireless video cameras? HT or 802.11n does not make it a bad signal; it might even improve things. You need to look and see if you have interference.

Is the signal weak? When you put a wireless client right next to the AP125, is it still bad? What type of wireless client are you using? What type of encryption?

Do not disable HT, for now....

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Before you do anymore, why are you saying that the signal from the AP125 is useless? Is there alot of interference from other access points in the Area? Do you have other devices that cause interference, like microwave ovens, wireless video cameras? HT or 802.11n does not make it a bad signal; it might even improve things. You need to look and see if you have interference.

Is the signal weak? When you put a wireless client right next to the AP125, is it still bad? What type of wireless client are you using? What type of encryption?

Do not disable HT, for now....

Okey, not useless, but very weak.
I'm not sure if there is a microwave oven, but i dont think so, i will see if i have time to check it tomorrow. Any other wireless devices shouldnt exist. And as i said, its three equally buildings, same walls, same design etc. And all of the AP's is in the centrum of each building, in a "electric central" (can't figure out a better translation).
I could always check if the signal strength is better with an AP61 in that building where the AP125 is now?

Will there acctually be any problem with a microwave oven, if its not beeing used? Its installed, but lets say at 10am and none is using it, will it affect anything anyway, just beeing plugged-in?

// Johan
Aruba

AP125 bad signal

The microwave is only going to be a factor when it's in active operation (so typically 60-120 seconds at a time). When it is in service it can affect portions (typically top 1/3-1/2) of the 2.4 GHz band.

Ok, thanks. With other words my issue isnt affected by microwaves, directly. Because the issue i have is permanent atm.

// Johan

* The signal is weak, yes.
* I will check tomorrow how good the signals are, in different locations in the building. And also check if there is any other types of wireless devices, but i dont think so.
* Mainly there is two different types of computers there, Dell Latitude D531 (Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card) and Dell Latitude D620 (Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN).
* I got two SSID's, one with WEP-PSK and one with WPA2-PSK that is connecting to same LAN.

I found this article:

http://www.bradreese.com/aruba-test.pdf

Where the "Intel 4965agn" showing pretty good results with WinXP. As we have also as standard OS (Pro instead of Home tho).

They are acctually using AP125..
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: