Access Points

Frequent Contributor II

AP125 emitting a loud high pitched noise

Users at one of my sites are complaining that the AP125 located near them is intermittantly making a very loud high pitched noise. Has anyone ever heard of this? As there are no moving parts to make this noise I wonder if a bad capacitor or something may be the cause.
Aruba Employee

Re: AP125 emitting a loud high pitched noise

Sounds like bad components. RMA the AP-125.
Frequent Contributor II

Thanks,

I figured an RMA was in the near future on this one but I was just curious as to what might cause an AP to make noise like this.

Occasional Contributor II

Thanks,

I figured an RMA was in the near future on this one but I was just curious as to what might cause an AP to make noise like this.

The AP125's run VERY hot, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a melting component, most likely a capacitor. Low grade cap's will squeal like a banshee before it pops.
Aruba

The thermal behavior, safety and reliability of the AP-125 have been extensively tested, and the AP operates well within the normal operating range for all components. Some metal parts will indeed get hot to the touch, but that is entirely within expected ranges.

This unit clearly has a non-typical problem, and should be replaced and returned for analysis.

/Onno Harms
/Onno
Occasional Contributor II

check the power injector too

The AP is definately failing and needs to be sent back. As other people said, it's probably just a bad capacitor.

However, you might want to verify that the power injector or POE switch feeding it is sending the right voltage. If that's wrong, it could have damaged the AP, and might damage the next one. Just check the voltage across the pairs while something POE-aware is plugged into it. You should get about 48V DC.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: