Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

AP175 bridge distance and speed

We have 2 3400 controllers and would like to bridge 2 buildings that are about 300 yards away from each other. Has anyone used the AP175's in this type of setup? Will this work and what kind of speed should I expect between the 2 buildings?

I am pretty new to the Aruba controllers and don't have the expertise to know what to expect. I have a call in to our Aruba reseller and am waiting for some info, I just figured I'd throw out this question (to the experts) to see if there is a better method of connecting the 2 buildings. There is a road running between the buildings, so trenching fiber would be cost ineffective.

Any opinions on the best way to connect?

Thanks in advance.
ACMP - Feb 2014
MVP

Re: AP175 bridge distance and speed

Are the two controllers each configured as separate masters, or is one a master and one a local? Should I take it that each of the two buildings have a 3400?
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

Both controllers are in our main building set up as a master and local with our AP's split between the two. The new building will not have a 3400, we just need to provide network to a large group of people using mostly asp apps. We currently have about 44 AP's in 2 groups, 1 group is assigned to the master controller, the other assigned to the local controller. If a controller goes down, the AP's move over to the active one.

Currently there is nothing in the new building, we are in a hospital setting and are moving our non-clinical staff out of the hospital to the building across the street and are trying to leverage our Aruba controllers instead of leasing a high-cost circuit.

ACMP - Feb 2014
Aruba

You could leverage AP175 APs for this application , or you could also leverage AP-92's.

The AP-92 would be a more cost effective approach vs. the AP-175, however the location of the APs and mounting/installation considerations must be put into the equation as well.
MVP

jfernyc is correct. In essence, regardless of the AP model you pick, you essentially will configure two APs with a mesh profile (sets up the parameters for how the mesh works, what is transported over the link, etc). One will be a portal, which would be connected to whatever building is the primary LAN. The other will be a point. The point will associate to the portal and bring up a mesh link. You then just configure the ethernet interface to bridge network traffic and you now have a L2/L3 link between the two buildings.

You then just have to figure out how to route, as the network topology of the two buildings will come in to play (are they two separate L3 networks, can you craay the remote building's VLANs on the main building network, etc). But we can support whatever you can come up with, your reseller can help pin taht down.

Using a 175 with a 5714, at 300 meters, you can safely expect approx 130-140 Mbps goodput across the link, depending on environmental conditions, line of sight, etc.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

jfernyc is correct. In essence, regardless of the AP model you pick, you essentially will configure two APs with a mesh profile (sets up the parameters for how the mesh works, what is transported over the link, etc). One will be a portal, which would be connected to whatever building is the primary LAN. The other will be a point. The point will associate to the portal and bring up a mesh link. You then just configure the ethernet interface to bridge network traffic and you now have a L2/L3 link between the two buildings.

You then just have to figure out how to route, as the network topology of the two buildings will come in to play (are they two separate L3 networks, can you craay the remote building's VLANs on the main building network, etc). But we can support whatever you can come up with, your reseller can help pin taht down.

Using a 175 with a 5714, at 300 meters, you can safely expect approx 130-140 Mbps goodput across the link, depending on environmental conditions, line of sight, etc.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, were going to create the vlans in our main building. We are still looking into getting a fiber line run under the street, but even if we are able to get the fiber there it will be a good idea to set up the 175's as a backup in case someone decides to dig up our fiber :)

I appreciate the info, thanks again.
ACMP - Feb 2014
Chief Airhead

I have one deployment with 2 AP175s. One a portal and one a point. About 200 meters. Enabled Mesh HT and SGI. ANT-2x2-5614s on each AP.

RSSI 34
Data link Rates. 300/270
Sean Rynearson | Chief Airhead
Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: