Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

AP65 and acquiring IP address with DHCP

I'm having following problem with AP65: When AP is set to use static IP everything works OK but when set to get the IP using DHCP it fails to do so.

However if I enable the DHCP server on the Mobility Controller then AP gets it's IP with no problems.

If I connect the PC to the same port on which AP could not get IP by DHCP the PC gets it without problems (so the DHCP server and DHCP relay are working properly).

To conclude: if mobility controller is a DHCP server the AP gets IP, if there is another DHCP server the APs fail to get IP by DHCP.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something in configuration?

(We are using AP65 with Aruba 2400 mc - everything is Alcatel branded but it's the same)
Frequent Contributor I

Re: AP65 and acquiring IP address with DHCP

Hello,

what Switches do you use as Relay Agent?

Offten Switches have a default forward delay for DHCP Requests. Set this Delay to 0.

Best Regards
Occasional Contributor I

what Switches do you use as Relay Agent?

Offten Switches have a default forward delay for DHCP Requests. Set this Delay to 0.

Hi Mirko,

thank you for your help. Setting the default forward delay to 0 has enabled the APs to recieve IPs by DHCP, thus solving the problem

Never suspected of that because I have never had any problems with UDP relay before not with regular PC hardware nor with some specific devices. We are using Alcatel switches.

I've spent way too many hours troubleshooting this, should have asked right away :D

Thanks!
Aruba Employee

You may also want to check to see the network switch setting for IP Helper address listing the main network DHCP server address.

Regards

George
Occasional Contributor I

If this was the problem than none of the PCs could not get their addresses by DHCP which was not the case.

Problem was with DHCP forward relay value just as mtraettner explained.

Occasional Contributor II

I had the same problem and it's working now !

thanks!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: