Access Points

MVP

AP85 - antennes providing different areas?

Is it possible with an AP-85 to have for example the two 2.4GHz antenna's pointing in different directions in order to increase the coverage?
We need to cover an outdoor storage area ~90m wide by ~60m deep (see attached picture) and I'm thinking about going the cheap way of attaching 1x AP85 with 2 AP-ANT-83 on the 66m side and having the 2 antenna's each point to a different corner to provide coverage.

Is this possible or do I have to use 2 separate AP's with 1 antenna each?
If anybody has any insights on which antenna's would be better/best.. feel free to provide insights.
Koen (ACMX #351 | ACDX #547 | ACCP)

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
MVP

Re: AP85 - antennes providing different areas?

unfortunately, you can't have one radio doing diversity with antennas going in different directions. You must provide coverage over the same area from both antennas or you run the risk of creating some serious hidden-node issues and will severely impact client performance.

That said, if you can PM me some information, I can likely provide a possible solution, but I would need to model it first. Other questions would be:

* where can you mount the access point? Is there a light pole in roughly the middle of the outdoor area you could put an access point or are you limited in where you can place it due to network connectivity?
* how tall are the rows of the storage area
* what kinds of materials are kept in the rows (dense metal, peanut butter, brake pads, cotton balls, etc). The types of materials will attenuate signal differently as the RF passes through (or over) the rows.

Thanks
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: