New Contributor

APs and ARMs

Hello, I just joined the Airheads forum today and I have a quick question maybe someone can help with. I have AP 61s. do the APs that are set up as ARM need to be in the same group as the APs that are being monitored?
Guru Elite

Re: APs and ARMs

DRobertson,

Congratulations!

I am assuming you have access points that serve clients and other access points that monitor the Air to do IDS/IPS?

In that case, it is a best practice to have them both in a different AP group. On AP group will have radio profiles that will turn their radios on, to serve clients, and the other group will have a RADIO profile that turns them in to Air Monitors. Having different groups makes it easy to turn an access point from one type of AP to another, just by provisioning them to a different group.

ARM, or adaptive radio management which changes channels and power of access points for best performance is automatically enabled on access points that serve clients.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. I originally had my arm AP's in a seperate group with is own radio profile and I was not seeing any change in the monitored ap's cannel or power status. I decided to put them all in one group and use a radio profile with a single-band assignment, which I know is not right and it turns all the ap's in to radio monitors, but I am seeing a ap's settle out to seperate non interfering channels. Things look like they are good. I will try again with a seperate ARM group and profile.
Guru Elite

The single band assignment in the ARM profile does NOT turn radios into Air monitors. The radio profile decides that. Go to configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration. Edit the Ap-group you want to change. Expand RF management and open either the 80211A radio OR the 801.11G radio profile depending on the band that you want to change. Next, you change the Mode parameter to AP mode to serve clients or AM mode to be an Air monitor:

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

It sounds like you may have tweaked some of the default ARM settings while looking around. I recommend taking a look at the 'mode aware ARM' setting in the adaptive radio management (ARM) profile. It can dynamically change radios into AM mode if it determines that there is already suffiecent coverage. If you enabled mode aware ARM and put all of your APs in 2.4 GHz there is a good chance that some of those radios were dynamically turned into AMs.

Since you are making a number of changes and testing multiple settings, I would recommend ensuring mode aware ARM is disabled so that the radio mode changes you are making will not be dynamically tuned.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: