Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

APs on different Subnet

Good Morning All

I have a building that currently is connected back to our high school by a 100mb pipe. The pipe isn't over the internet so no vpn or anything is setup between just on a different subnet. I can see that the AP is getting an IP address from its local DHCP server but the controller is not picking it up. I can ping it from its location but not from the location of the controller. Also, I have this building setup to use a different SSID then what is here at our High School. They both are setup the same way but do I need to do something different on the remote config to get the AP to fing the controller?

Thanks
Ed

Follow-Up

I did a traffic sniff and filtered it for only the AP's ip address. I found that it is doing a DNS query of the local DNS server for aruba-master. So I added an "A" record to the DNS named aruba-master and the controllers ip address but the DNS server keeps responding with "no such name". So does anyone know why it keeps failing the lookup?

Thanks
Ed
Guru Elite

No DNS name

I did a traffic sniff and filtered it for only the AP's ip address. I found that it is doing a DNS query of the local DNS server for aruba-master. So I added an "A" record to the DNS named aruba-master and the controllers ip address but the DNS server keeps responding with "no such name". So does anyone know why it keeps failing the lookup?

Thanks
Ed

Edward,

What is your DHCP suffix for your wired clients? The AP will send a DNS query for "aruba-master.". Find out what your DHCP suffix is and make sure it matches your DNS domain so it is sending "aruba-master.solanco.k12.pa.us" and your DNS can resolve it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

That worked.

Colin

That did it. I can now see it on my controller. Do you think I still need the manual "A" record?

Ed
Guru Elite

You will need it

Colin

That did it. I can now see it on my controller. Do you think I still need the manual "A" record?

Ed

Edward,

You need this, because the APs use this everytime they reboot to locate the controller. It should be permanent.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: