Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Adjust AP Power Level

I am trying to adjust the transmit power on a group of APs. I have changed all the values I can find, but nothing seems to affect the power output. In the third picture there is one place that I want to change but it is disabled, regardless of ARM status (RF Plan -> Building -> AP).
Check the pics to see if I'm missing something.
Aruba Employee

Re: Adjust AP Power Level

Dale,

What are you trying to make the APs do? The first picture shows the APs are operating at their max power for the given channel (22.5/22.5). The 127 in the second picture means that the AP can go all the way to the maximum allowed output (transmit EIRP + antenna gain - cable loss). If you set the max and min at 127, it tells the AP to operate at full power.

In the fourth picture, the 51 in Transmit EIRP means that AP will start at 51 when it is booted. Since 51 is not a realistic EIRP, the AP will start at max power. Usually the Transmit EIRP is set midway between the max and min (from the ARM profile) and ARM will adjust up or down based on the RF environment.

Was hoping I could get a higher tx power level. They are operating at 22.5 dBm...is that Max for 105s? Do I need to reboot them to get the higher power level?
Aruba Employee

I am not an international regulatory domain expert, but I think in most instances, 100mw (20db) is the maximum power for channels in the 2.4GHz band.

Ah...:(
Aruba Employee

heh, how much power did you expect? BTW, 20dBm is 100mW, which is usually the indoor regulatory limit for the United States in the 2.4GHz band. The 22.5 you see there is a representation of the total EIRP, which would be 20dBm radio power plus the antenna gain.

Keep in mind that especially in the 5GHz band, some channels can operate at higher powers than other channels, so you may see differences in total EIRP depending on ARM channel selection.

Many outdoor APs however can operate at 23dBm radio power, for example our AP-85 has a 200mW 2.4GHz radio in it (23dBm) for outdoor operation.

What problem are you trying to solve by wanting more tx power? ....and lastly, reboots are not required when changing power settings--either automatically via ARM, or manually via setting min-tx-power, max-tx-power ARM settings or static power settings.
Aruba

FCC regulatory limit

The current FCC regulatory limit on conducted (total) power in 2.4GHz is actually increased to 30dBm. The EIRP limit is (still) 36dBm.
The 22.5dBm reported here is the result of the max capability of the hardware (20dBm) and gain of the built-in antenna (2.5dBm).
/Onno
Aruba Employee

Onno,

Thats the US limits, right? I think this user may be in another regulatory domain, possibly European (he is using channel 5).
Aruba

Correct; my numbers were for the US. EU should actually be lower; I believe max EIRP is 20dBm there.
/Onno
Aruba Employee

...and I get corrected by our esteemed AP hardware engineer on the indoor max radio power! haha...thanks Onno.

Dale, why are you using channel 5?
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: