Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

Antenna Characteristics

Hey guys,

guess what, i need info/help.

What characteristic has the AP-Ant-80 Antenna with an AP-175P Accesspoint?
In which range can we get the best radio (in meters)?

We have the AP-Ant-80 in front of a building about 13 meters away, and have to cover the rooms in the building (there are no LAN Cables in the building left, its an old one, its not possible to get cables in there).

So can we cover the rooms with radio? If yes, which parameters do we need to set in an OA4306GW with OAW6.0.1.2?

Sorry for bad english, I hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Greets
Guru Elite

Re: Antenna Characteristics

Hey guys,

guess what, i need info/help.

What characteristic has the AP-Ant-80 Antenna with an AP-175P Accesspoint?
In which range can we get the best radio (in meters)?

We have the AP-Ant-80 in front of a building about 13 meters away, and have to cover the rooms in the building (there are no LAN Cables in the building left, its an old one, its not possible to get cables in there).

So can we cover the rooms with radio? If yes, which parameters do we need to set in an OA4306GW with OAW6.0.1.2?

Sorry for bad english, I hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Greets

The AP-ANT-80 is a standard omnidirectional antenna. It can reach 13 meters away in open space, but whether it can reach INSIDE the rooms, depends on the building construction. it the building is made of brick, I would not expect any coverage inside. As the RF passes through walls, it gets weaker and weaker. In addition, the wireless clients needs to be able to be strong enough to respond. In the OA4306GW you need to see it for 8 db on the 2.4ghz in the AP provisioning screen.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

These are things that we know (brick walls etc.). The Building has 4 Floors. On the floors 1 and 2 the coverage is good, 3 and 4 it´s not.

What i want to know is the coverage of the antenna in meters. Azimut and elevation... I don´t need the exact meters... Just thereabout...
MVP

First things first, we want to avoid using the ANT-80 on the AP-175, unless you are willing to accept a roughly 40-50% throughput loss. If needed, I can get technical but to keep the post short, you should be using the MIMO antennas on our outdoor MIMO APs. To note, we do not have 10dB 2.4GHz option. But read below

Second, on of the big issues using the ANT-80 for client coverage is that it has a very narrow 10deg vertical E-plane, which in your case would only be 5 deg above the horizontal and likely explains why the 1st and 2nd floors are good.

You would either need to raise the APs and antennas to try and hit the vertical middle of the building(which may not be possible and would likely just have poor coverage on 1 and 4), or a better plan would be to switch to a 2.4ghz MIMO omni or directional with a wider vertical. Options would be the AP-2x2-2005 MIMO Omni with a 30deg vertical, the ANT-2x2-D607 or D805.

Do you have a topological drawing or google earth picture with the AP and building marked that we can get an idea from?

Edit: Also, there is no way we can give you even estimates without more data on the building materials, floor plans, interior walls, width and depth of the building relative to the AP, etc. It would also help us to know what kind of coverage, in SNR or RSSI, you are seeing on the first and second floor, how high the AP is off the ground, etc.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer