Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Any AP installed in specific location loses Config

This is so weird...

We have had 2 different locations now where an access point has suddenly gone down. In each situation we tried to bring the AP back up by rebooting it and when that failed plugging it into a different port in the switch. No dice. So we replaced the AP with a brand new out of the box AP in the same port the first AP was plugged into. The new AP worked for about 10 minutes and then exhibited the same behavior as the first. Ok, so this time I blame the PoE on the switch and replace the switch with a brand new one. In Location 1, this seems to have worked (knock on wood) but I had to clear the config and reset to factory defaults on the AP in order to get them to work again in ANY location. In Location 2, the same procedure worked for about 3 weeks and now the AP is down again with the same behavior. When I log into the controller, the controller sees the AP and says it's up, when you try to click on the AP to get details, it tells you it's down, go back to list view, says it's up, etc. We can't ping the AP, I can't do any diagnostics from the controller to the AP. I grabbed the tech support log and looked through and the AP is flagged ID (inactive, Dirty/No config). I'm not exactly sure of the definition of "dirty" but I understand "no config". If I log into the switch, the AP is linked, it is getting power, but the radio lights are off and the other 2 lights are just blinking pitifully at me. Here's another crazy thing, other access points plugged into that same switch on different ports are unaffected.

Could there be something broadcasting garbage in that location that would make the AP die? Does the controller save any AP history at all that I could look for errors? I can't figure out any other reason why it's simply location that's doing it. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going down there to survey the place and see what I can hear with my laptop, if i see anything interesting, I'll update.

stephie
Guru Elite

Re: Any AP installed in specific location loses Config

Capture the Console output if you can.

Please plug a serial cable into the AP to capture the serial output. Please also monitor the POE switch to make sure that it is not oversubscribed. You didn't say what AP type and what version of OS your Aruba controller is on...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :)

The current AP that's exhibiting the behavior is a 125. The other APs that were doing it were all 105s. We were using version ArubaOS 5.0.0.1 when the behavior happened the first time, we've since upgraded to ArubaOS 6.0.0.1 and it happened again.

I'll grab the console output and double check the PoE on Monday, I'm headed out for the day :)

Thanks Colin!
Guru Elite

If you can, you should open a case and send your logs, anyway.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Spent the better part of the morning and afternoon looking at this again. I'm going to eventually have to open a TAC case, but it's a really strange problem to try to describe. It appears that DHCP fails with ANY Aruba access point plugged into this particular switch in this particular location. I monitored the traffic on that port and it doesn't appear that the AP is even asking for an address though. Any other switch in the building with the same VLANS, some core router, same exact everything else will DHCP just fine. Had it working for 8 days, then suddenly stopped working again. The only thing I noticed is that this particular switch seems to be running a slightly different IOS version than some of the other ones, so I'll try to upgrade that in the morning.

That was a long rambling message to ask if there are any known incompatibilities with any of the Cisco IOS images?
Guru Elite

Stephie,

None that we I of offhand. Can you break out of the APs bootup on the console and type "dhcp" to trigger DHCP and see if it gets an ip address? Can you also monitor how much power that switch is consuming "show power inline"? Is that a Cisco 3550?

Colin Joseph

Hey Colin

Thanks again for the help. We figured it out, it was actually with our DHCP server, or more precisely, lack there of. The DHCP server set up for the APs is more complicated than I'm used to and I didn't set it up. Turns out it was working on half of our routers and not the other half. I'm still not sure why that particular access point lost its configuration to begin with, but when it did and tried to contact the DHCP server, it couldn't get a valid address. It had been provisioned and working fine then just lost it's config some how.

Oh well, it's working now, if it keeps losing its config, I'll call TAC. Sorry for wasting your efforts, but thanks so much for the help.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: