New Contributor

Ap 105

Greetings,

We are currently using AP105 in our environment but currently experiencing a few dead spots.
Does Aruba has some kind of range extender/repeater or can I use like consumer grade Linksys/Netgear/Belkin range extender that I can purchase at a local store?
After considering the cost (AP, wiring and labor cost), the dead spot area is not very crucial for us to deploy another AP105 so we are looking for a cheaper alternative.
Is that possible?

Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks-
Cp
Aruba

Re: Ap 105

We don't have 'range extenders'. Instead you may consider a single radio AP (AP-93) or AP-68 as lower cost mechanisms to provide coverage. Both solutions are less expensive than the AP-105.
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick respond.

Does a single radio AP (AP-93) or AP-68 can connect wirelessly to our current SSID and act as a repeater or we still need to have a Cat5 cable to connect it back to the controller?
We are trying not to run another ethernet cable if it's possible because that's the one that's going to cost a lot. :(

Thanks-
Cp
Aruba

These would run on a seperate (Cat5/6) cable. They don't wirelessly extend the network.

All Aruba APs can support meshing functionality as well, however the cost of the APs still needs to be considered of course.
New Contributor

Ah, I see.
When you said "All Aruba APs can support meshing functionality", is that including the lower end (AP-93 and AP-68) so it won't be too costly or only AP-105 and above?

Do we need to purchase all the licenses too? Besides the AP license, we also have the Policy Enforcement Firewall License.
Do we need to treat it just like adding another AP to our environment basically?

If that's the case then we might have to consider wiring cost vs. mesh network.

Thanks-
Cp
Aruba Employee

Ap 105

I believe AOS 5.x and above uses regular AP license for indoor mesh. So you should be ok there. However, I personally would recommend using another 105, and strictly using the 5Ghz as back haul. Otherwise the APs will have to balance between servicing clients and back haul, which will adversely affect throughput.

Zach
Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

I believe AOS 5.x and above uses regular AP license for indoor mesh. So you should be ok there. However, I personally would recommend using another 105, and strictly using the 5Ghz as back haul. Otherwise the APs will have to balance between servicing clients and back haul, which will adversely affect throughput.

Zack is correct ...mesh is covered under the regular AP license as of 5.x and higher. I also agree with his recommendation to use a dual-radio AP for mesh links.

The problem with range extenders is that they tend to degrade performance over the entire cell as the single channel needs to be clear for clients to transmit. With mesh on a dual-radio AP, you can use the 5GHz radio for connecting the two APs together, then both AP can use their respective 2.4GHz radios in separate channels, so that there is no bandwidth sharing between those two 2.4GHz cells. Using 5GHz as the interconnect between the two APs also lessens the likelihood of interference degrading the performance of the combined coverage cell.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: