Occasional Contributor II

Ap 125 (rap)

Hi.

I was wondering if someone could help me confirm what could initiate a rebootstrap of an AP125 set up as a RAP on AOS 5.0.32. All of our RAP's are connected via POE 2 port midspan and we are trying to figure out a way to force a reboot on some RAP's that have just hung up for no apparent reason. I can see the RAP on the switch, I can ping it but it wont talk to the controller. I'm pretty confident that a simple reboot would work but doing so remotely has been a big challenge in our setup. Please help!
Guru Elite

Re: Ap 125 (rap)

Did you try the "apboot" command? If the AP won't talk to the controller, it might not be able to respond to the apboot command, however.

How long have those RAPs been up?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

yeah, apboot only works when the RAP is up...these are showing down on my controllers and they've been down for quite some time...prior to this though they were up for a while.
Guru Elite

Unfortunately with an injector, you would have to cut the power and then restore it manually to make the RAP try again :( If you had POE, you could disable the power remotely.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Rats! this is what I've been told in the past..I was hoping someone had a trick to make this happen...ins't a rap supposed to reboot after missed heartbeats ? The ones I have never do...even after shutting down the physical switch port they're on.
Guru Elite

Do you have a bridged "always" SSID that stays up all the time? Did you change the bootstrap timers or ipsec retries parameter from the default? If not, the AP should rebootstrap when those timers expire.

Colin Joseph

All of my RAP VAP's are on standard mode ... Ipsec retires in my ap system profiles are default although I did increase the bootstrap threshold to 100 instead of the default 8

oh and BTW I acutally reported this non reboot behavior to TAC at some point and all they were able to tell me is that it is "expected behavior"
Guru Elite

All of my RAP VAP's are on standard mode ... Ipsec retires in my ap system profiles are default although I did increase the bootstrap threshold to 100 instead of the default 8

oh and BTW I acutally reported this non reboot behavior to TAC at some point and all they were able to tell me is that it is "expected behavior"

So, change the bootstrap threshold back to 8 and things will work as they are supposed to.

Colin Joseph

I've since changed the bootstrap threshold back to 8....no difference these things reboot arbitrarily : (

Guru Elite

Let's start from scratch.

How many access points provisioned as RAPs out there?
What is the size of your internet link at the headend
How many virtual APs, or WLANs do you have on each of your RAPs?
Are they all tunneled?
Do you use IPSEC preshared key, username/password or certificte-based methods for RAPs?
How long has this deployment been up?
What is your firewall at the headend?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: