Occasional Contributor II

Ap-70-f1

We just purchased two AP-70 access points. What I expected to receive was the AP-70 but received the AP-70-F1. Apparently the AP-70 has reached end of sale status.

After initially configuring the new AP with appropriate network information and the IP of the controller, I rebooted the AP. The access point however, is not able to verify the image that was downloaded. We are using the Aruba 200 mobility controller (Aruba Operating System Software. ArubaOS (MODEL: Aruba200), Version 2.4.8.15-FIPS

Also the new AP came with an Ethernet adaptor. Has anyone run across anything similar to this? Below is what happens during reboot.

Thanks in advance

///
Loading binary file: 192.168.1.3:mips.ari
Load address: a0001000
Loading: ################################################################ ################################################################
Verifying checksum...
Done
Bytes transferred = 3376920 (338718 hex)
Verify image signature...
No sig header found
tftpboot failed, retrying in one second
Loading: ################################################################
################################################################
Verifying checksum...
Done
Bytes transferred = 3376920 (338718 hex)
Verify image signature...
No sig header found
tftpboot failed, retrying in one second
Aruba Employee

Re: Ap-70-f1

Most likely you need to upgrade your firmware. I couldn't find anything in the release notes about the AP70-F1. I would contact support to confirm.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks
Aruba Employee

That's the FIPS/TAA compliant model for federal deployments, what you probably received is the wrong device. You might want to check with your partner. BTW, where did you hear the AP-70 was EOL? From the price list:

AP-70-F1 Aruba 70 Wireless Access Point, FIPS/TAA

thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Awl,

Thanks of the reply. We are a federal agency with FIPS OS. But prior to this order we working fine with the AP-70-1 model. I suppose our vender made an assumption and shipped the F1

The link for the end sale notice is at http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/support/EOS_AP-TAA.pdf

Thanks again
Aruba Employee

Right, that EOS is different than just the AP-70 model itself, that had to do with a change to the FIPS/TAA models, not the commercial AP-70.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
MVP

mdsopr,

the change in the AP part number was to EOL the AP-70-1, which was TAA only. We also had the AP-70-F1 which is a FIPS/TAA part number. 99%+ of the people who are required to buy TAA are usually DOD/FedCiv/FIPS customers anyway, so we just EOL'd the part number AP-70-1. Functionally, they are more or less the same part, the only difference is the AP-70-F1 ships with FIPS code, as opposed to commercial code.

An RMA won't likely fix your issue, due to our NIST/EAL requirement on signed code.

You are likely running some version of code prior to 2.4.8.24. Due to NIST and CC/EAL requirements, we can no longer ship devices with unsigned code. Anything with 3.x and later code can only be upgraded to downgraded to signed code. If you can either upgrade your controllers to 2.4.8.24 or later, OR if you have a lab controller you can spin up to get the downgrade done and put 2.4.8.24+ on it and bring up the AP on it, once you get 2.4.8.24+ it does not require signed code to upgrade/downgrade. So in short:

APs at 3.x-FIPS --> 2.4.8.24-FIPS+ --> 2.4.8.23 and previous...

You can go the other way (from 2.4.8.x to 3.x) without issue as there is no problem going from unsigned to signed code. If you have any further questions, let me know. Hopefully that gets your question answered.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: