Access Points

New Contributor

Aruba AP65 - some questions about behaviour

Hello all,

I'm building a kit list for an Aruba deployment in Russia, but I've been asked some questions that I'm not really sure how to answer. I've scoured Aruba's website but have drawn a bit of a blank.

The specified AP type is the AP65, and we're thinking about a 2400-series controller.

The controller would be deployed in our Moscow office. The Moscow office needs 6APs, which is fair enough because they're on the same LAN as the controller.

However, what happens if we put some AP65s out in a remote WAN office (in the Russian energy industry, remote means *remote*), and the WAN link fails. Will the AP65 keep radiating a signal, and allow connected users to continue working? Or will the AP simply shut down if it loses connectivity to the controller?

Also, in a remote site with relatively little bandwidth, our sites in Russia have local servers. If an AP65 is on-site, will users on the WLAN be able to access the local server without their traffic first having to go to the Moscow controller and then back across the WAN to the remote site?

If the AP65 allows local traffic to stay local to the site, that's great. If not, could someone please recommend an Aruba solution that will allow local traffic to stay local to the remote site while still being managed centrally through the Moscow 2400 controller?

Any help or advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Graeme Porter
Aruba Employee

Re: Aruba AP65 - some questions about behaviour

The remote sites are perfect for our RAPs (Remote APs). They have a mode where they will survive temporary outages as well as a mode where they work without a controller (bridged local traffic). The RAPs build an IPSec tunnel to their controller, so they work over a WAN or even over the Internet. You can use a pre-shared key on the always-up (even if the controller is not) SSID or you can use WPA2 if you want to rely on controller connectivity. Either way, the PEF (firewall) functionality is pushed down to the AP, so you will have some semblance of security.

I would look at the RAP-5 (has both wired and wireless connectivity options) or the RAP-2 for the remote sites. These require 5.0 (soon to be released) OR the existing Remote Networking code.

For the campus APs, with 5.0 you can mix the RAPs and campus connected APs on the same controller. You should look at the newer 3x00 series controllers as well. The 2400 is a great platform, but lacks the processing power of the newer models.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: