Occasional Contributor II

Aruba Wireless Bridge

Hello fellow airheads.

Does anyone know of an Aruba AP or device that will function as a bridge. We recently deployed a 200 mobility controller and a AP-70 within our corporate network. What we would like to do is add wireless bridging capability into our current configuration.

Thanks in advance
Aruba Employee

Re: Aruba Wireless Bridge

Sure.....within the Aruba-speak it's called "Enterprise Mesh". One side is the "Mesh Portal", whereas it has the connection to the wired network which eventually ends up on the Aruba controller. The other side is the "mesh point" whereas it is isolated from the rest of your wired network. The two APs use one of their radios to backhaul traffic. The mesh point side can also have a wired switch connected to its wired port so you can use it to bridge an outbuilding or something into your network.

This deployment is quite common and is managed from within the Aruba controller. Just reference the documentation on Enterprise Mesh.

Thank you sir

Bjwhite, thanks for the info..!!

Sure.....within the Aruba-speak it's called "Enterprise Mesh". One side is the "Mesh Portal", whereas it has the connection to the wired network which eventually ends up on the Aruba controller. The other side is the "mesh point" whereas it is isolated from the rest of your wired network. The two APs use one of their radios to backhaul traffic. The mesh point side can also have a wired switch connected to its wired port so you can use it to bridge an outbuilding or something into your network.

This deployment is quite common and is managed from within the Aruba controller. Just reference the documentation on Enterprise Mesh.

Hello,

We need to quickly set up a mesh to extend coverage to one of our buildings where connectivity by fiber is not working. Is it possible to add Mesh settings to an existing AP group, and then only select the specific APs to provision for Mesh (ie: one mesh portal, and one mesh point in our case)? We are able to get a single to the building using an AP-124 and outdoor AP-ANT-17 antenna (mesh portal), but the single inside the remote building is weak due to leaded glass windows and distance. Our hope is to quickly extend the WLAN using an AP-125 inside the building as a mesh point.

I'm hoping to just add mesh settings to the existing AP group to avoid duplicating all the VAP info on a second AP group.

We're using ArubaOS 5.0 on a 6000 chassis. Thanks.

Works great!

I went ahead and added a Mesh profile to our existing AP group, then set one AP-124 to be a Mesh Portal, and the AP-125 in the remote building as a Mesh point, and it works great. Testing with a G device, speeds are the same as the main network.

Is there any concern over encryption for Mesh backhaul if the AP groups are using encryption already?

Can a Mesh Portal also serve clients? It seemed not, as the signal was very weak at the remote building (before plugging in the mesh point), so I was likely only seeing bleed out from internal APs.

From my knowledge, the mesh portal AP should also be capable to serve local wifi clients but I have not yet configured it. If that is not the case, I would be grateful for correction.

If the SSID is protected by WPA2 or similar, there shouldn't be any concerns regarding encryption.

Kind of related question: Does somebody know if there is a way that an Aruba RAP is able to connect to an SSID in a hotel environment to connect back to its own controller instead of using the wired uplink port?

Thanks,

Stefan
Guru Elite

Mesh

From my knowledge, the mesh portal AP should also be capable to serve local wifi clients but I have not yet configured it. If that is not the case, I would be grateful for correction.

If the SSID is protected by WPA2 or similar, there shouldn't be any concerns regarding encryption.

Kind of related question: Does somebody know if there is a way that an Aruba RAP is able to connect to an SSID in a hotel environment to connect back to its own controller instead of using the wired uplink port?

Thanks,

Stefan

You are right. As of ArubaOS 3.4.1, an AP can serve clients as well as mesh on the same radio. If the AP is in an ap-group that has a virtual AP, and it is provisioned as Mesh, it will do both.

If the traffic is protected via WPA2, then that encryption is extended all the way back to the controller.

There is no way today, to have an AP mesh to a hotel hotspot wirelessly. You should ask your local Aruba sales team to file an RFE, or Request for Enhancement.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thank you Colin!
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: