Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Cascading AP's thru the 2nd Eth. Port (AP125)

Does somebody knows if you can cascade AP's (like AP125) on that
secondary Ethernet Port.

So Port 1 on AP1 has the connection to the controller and Port 2 from AP1
goes to the second AP.

From AP2 to AP3 and so on.

Is that possible?

Thanks so far
Aruba Employee

Re: Cascading AP's thru the 2nd Eth. Port (AP125)

Yes, this is how we deployed the network at Black Hat in Las Vegas last year. You will need either power injectors or power supplies for the APs as PoE is not passed through. I think we had about four APs in a row this way at the show.
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Hi awl,
could i use the AP 125 in the preupgraded mode (without installing n license)
and still make cascaded AP with the Gigaport speed and still have the same efficiency of cabling speed like you did (ie the AP port Still work with its gigabit speed)?
another question regarding Black Hat conference

i have the document from aruba that describes that event but it is about the conference held in 2005
i want to know if aruba participated in that conference in 2006,2007,2008 and if yes how could i got the document describes that events

thanks in advance
Aruba Employee

Hi Mohamed,

We did in all of those years, but do not have any documents describing the events. What is it you're looking for?

I'm pretty sure that the upgradable 124/125 models use the same algorithm to determine when to turn off the gigabit ports, so if you don't have enough power it's still going to power that port down. I'll confirm later today.

Either way, there is no PoE provided by the first RAP to any downstream device, so you'll need either power supplies or power injectors for each AP past the first device.

Hope that helps,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks
Aruba Employee

A short article on Black Hat from 2007 is available at:

https://airheads.arubanetworks.com/article/aruba-networks-still-king-hill-black-hat
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks

Hi awl,
thanks for your quick reply.
in fact i do need documented articles that talk about Aruba in Black hat conference to use it as proof to our customers that Aruba is no. 1 world wide in intrusion detection/prevention services so please if you know how to get these documents let me know or if there any document from the Black Hat conference describing what happens in the conference i would be very grateful

another thing about the AP 124/125
let me explain our scenario:
we have long outdoor area that we want to cover it and if we think about cascading more than one AP using AP 70 we got a problem that the AP 70 ports is 100 Mbps and so it only could forward traffic of its channels (54 Mb for the b/g channel and 54Mb for the a channel) so if we cascade more than on they will share the 100 Mb speed of the port and that will decrease the overall speed
so we thought about using pre upgraded AP 124/125 (ie without installing the N license) to make use of its Giga ports in cascading more than AP
the question is :
does the speed of the AP 124/125 port will remain Gigabit when we don't install the N license?

sorry for the long message
and thanks in advance
Aruba Employee

Cascading AP's thru the 2nd Eth. Port (AP125)

Vip4theworld,

Several comments:

First, although the connection rate of the a and g radios is 54Mb/sec,
you will not ever see actual data rates near that. In fact, 25-26Mb/sec
is about all you can expect per channel. If you cascade the APs, you
might be able to oversubscribe the 100Mb/sec link with more than 4
radios active (assuming 25Mb/sec per radio), but this is highly
unlikely.

Next, the AP-125abg (the part number for the AP-125 without the 802.11n
license) is identical, as far as hardware is concerned, to the AP-125
(the fully licensed AP-125). The ports are both full gigabit rated.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the first AP-125, if it is
powered via PoE, may not have the second Ethernet port active, due to
power constraints. If you power them with an AC adapter, you wont have
to worry about that issue.
Aruba Employee

in fact i do need documented articles that talk about Aruba in Black hat conference to use it as proof to our customers that Aruba is no. 1 world wide in intrusion detection/prevention services so please if you know how to get these documents let me know or if there any document from the Black Hat conference describing what happens in the conference i would be very grateful

Right now we don't have any formal write-ups or case studies other than the articles I linked to in my last post. I'll see what I can do within the team, a formal case study will require a bit more work on our side, we mostly just reference the event when talking to our customers. Let me see what I can do.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Aruba Networks

Hi olino,
thanks for your reply
but what i understand about the actual throughput that if i have a wireless channel with 54Mbps then it will send the over all data (containing encryption , TCP headers,...) and the actual throughput (the useful data sent or received) will be 23MBps
i mean that there would be traffic from the AP to the controller that uses Max 54Mbps but the useful data in it wouldn't exceed 3Mbps
so if the previous is right when we decrease the link speed between the AP and the controller to 30 Mbps (just example) then the actual throughput will also decrease with the same ratio
would you please tell me if I'm understanding right or not?
thanks in advance

@awl
thanks and waiting for the document

Right now we don't have any formal write-ups or case studies other than the articles I linked to in my last post. I'll see what I can do within the team, a formal case study will require a bit more work on our side, we mostly just reference the event when talking to our customers. Let me see what I can do.

-awl

Hi awl,

could you please confirm if the formal case study of that article published or not

thanks in advance
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: