Access Points

Contributor I

Certificate BS IAP 105

Help me understand certificates for the Aruba... specifically the IAP105 (no controller).

1) I get a certificate error when trying to log into any Aruba access point by IP address (using IE8). Says mismatched address. I can continue, but it's a hassle and I get a security warning each time the interface refreshes. I can try to install the cert, but the errors persist.

2) Guest access. I have guest access configured to get the captive portal. Simple authentication using email address for testing purposes. The guest is immediately presented with a security error BEFORE the captive portal asking whether to proceed or not. Naturally, you can, but I want this to be seamless. After a short period of time, guests are kicked back to the captive portal. This is with constant activity. It just happens. (Is there perhaps a DHCP setting for guest access on the IAP 105 that is set really short... and maybe this isn't a cert issue?)

I called support to explain my issue. Two consecutive 80 minute calls... that's right, almost 3 hours, and they couldn't fix it or suggest a fix. They couldn't tell me what parameters I need to generate a cert to correct the problem. Support tech, Mahesh Gunalan, said all guests SHOULD just install the cert manually and that's ok. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of even having a cert?

This posts seems similar: http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=12929#post12929

This thread seems to address some SSL issues:

http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=3264

However, the documentation (PDF) only speaks about an actual controller and not the IAP105. I don't have the options listed.

Lastly, it appears each access point I log in to as a guest, the IP address of each AP shows up in the status bar. Am I going to need a cert for each IP?

We purchased the IAP 105s for their ease and simplistic approach. Yes, initial set up might be "easy as toast", but all this stuff and the two 80 minute calls to support which solved NOTHING is leaving a sour taste.

Help us be a good cheerleader for Aruba... we want to be... but so far it's been a headache.

(Oh, btw, our second level tech wasn't even aware of the latest firmware and said he wouldn't have it for a couple days... yet the web interface said there was an update to download. Really? Kind of hard to support the latest firmware if you aren't even aware it exists.)
Guru Elite

Re: Certificate BS IAP 105

Those two links are specifically about the controller, and not IAP. Did TAC say that they were opening a bug or were trying to replicate your issue?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

They weren't much help. All I was asking is what parameters do I need to add a certificate to the IAP105 so guests aren't presented with the cert error. 3 hours later of looking at things and I was left without an answer.

Anyone done this on the IAP? I'm sure there's someone with a good answer and it's a 10 minute fix. I would think support would have been able to help with this.

For what it's worth, I just sat in on a webinar for the IAP by Aruba. I asked the question of the person giving the webinar and he said to just generate a public cert. Ok... but what parameters do I need to provide when generating that cert? That follow up question was unanswered...
Guru Elite

They weren't much help. All I was asking is what parameters do I need to add a certificate to the IAP105 so guests aren't presented with the cert error. 3 hours later of looking at things and I was left without an answer.

Anyone done this on the IAP? I'm sure there's someone with a good answer and it's a 10 minute fix. I would think support would have been able to help with this.

For what it's worth, I just sat in on a webinar for the IAP by Aruba. I asked the question of the person giving the webinar and he said to just generate a public cert. Ok... but what parameters do I need to provide when generating that cert? That follow up question was unanswered...

Thanks for answering.

Today we do not support uploading custom certificates for captive portal, but we are looking into adding it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base