Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Cisco 1242 WGB on AP-125

Does any one have any experience running a cisco 1242 in wgb mode on aruba? I have an AP-125 on an 800 series controller running 5.0.2.0 with a cisco 1242 in wgb mode and I can't seem to get the wgb to associate using a LEAP username. My ssid points to a radius server run by cisco acs on my network and I know it works as i can authenticate other clients to it. However the wgb just returns the following error:

*Mar 1 00:07:58.131: %DOT11-4-CANT_ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio1, cannot associate: No Response

Any thoughts as to what my hang up could be? Could it be my ACS box isn't supporting the LEAP auth request?(I haven't checked this as of posting, but is my next step) I have an extra 125 and 70 ap that I could be used in place of the 1242, as long as I can configure it to pass through to an IP phone client on the second ethernet port.

WGB config:

dot11 ssid wifi_voice
authentication open
authentication key-management wpa
authentication client username travis password xxxxxxx
infrastructure-ssid

interface Dot11Radio1
no ip address
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
!
ssid wifi_voice
!
speed basic-6.0 9.0 basic-12.0 18.0 basic-24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
station-role workgroup-bridge
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

Aruba config
wlan ssid-profile "voice"
essid "wifi_voice"
opmode wpa2-aes
g-basic-rates 6 12 24
g-tx-rates 9 18 36 48 54
hide-ssid
deny-bcast
!
wlan virtual-ap "voice"
aaa-profile "acs_auth_profile"
ssid-profile "voice"
vlan 3
!
ap-group "apartment_group"
virtual-ap "free_air"
virtual-ap "voice"
virtual-ap "video_games"
virtual-ap "two_six_two"

Thanks for any help in advance!
Aruba Employee

Re: Cisco 1242 WGB on AP-125

I understood that Cisco WGB's were proprietry. a WGB could only associate with another Cisco AP.

From a rather old Cisco FAQ.

Can Workgroup Bridges work with other IEEE 802.11b devices?

A. No, the Workgroup Bridge works only with other Cisco equipment. It only communicates to a Cisco AP or Cisco Bridge. It does not communicate with any other Cisco Aironet wireless networking devices, not even other WGBs, or devices other vendors manufacture . It uses Aironet Extensions, which are for all practical purposes proprietary beacons, in order to function with Cisco APs. It is a Cisco specific device.

James

I understood that Cisco WGB's were proprietry. a WGB could only associate with another Cisco AP.

From a rather old Cisco FAQ.

Can Workgroup Bridges work with other IEEE 802.11b devices?

A. No, the Workgroup Bridge works only with other Cisco equipment. It only communicates to a Cisco AP or Cisco Bridge. It does not communicate with any other Cisco Aironet wireless networking devices, not even other WGBs, or devices other vendors manufacture . It uses Aironet Extensions, which are for all practical purposes proprietary beacons, in order to function with Cisco APs. It is a Cisco specific device.

James

Thanks James. I found basically the same answer as well. So i have two options keep a separate Cisco setup running to support my WGB or some how set up my AP70 to act as a WGB or in mesh mode. Any one have suggestions for the latter option?

Travis
Aruba

AP-70 Mesh Point

You could definately configure a 'spare' AP to be a MESH POINT and have it communicate back to the wired AP125 which would be acting as the MESH Portal.

I notice the operating system that you are using is 5.x, which is good for this application as the mesh license is built-in to the base OS. All Aruba campus APs can support Mesh, so you could use your AP70 or the spare AP125 to accomplish this connectivity.

The options for MESH networking are available in the WEBUI under:
Configuration/All Profiles/Mesh

A good chapter on Mesh is also available in the 5.0 User Guide Chapter 8.

Traffic from the Ethernet port on the AP70 may be backhauled through the mesh link back to the wired network. You can introduce authentication and/or policy control on this port as well as desired.

You could definately configure a 'spare' AP to be a MESH POINT and have it communicate back to the wired AP125 which would be acting as the MESH Portal.

I notice the operating system that you are using is 5.x, which is good for this application as the mesh license is built-in to the base OS. All Aruba campus APs can support Mesh, so you could use your AP70 or the spare AP125 to accomplish this connectivity.

The options for MESH networking are available in the WEBUI under:
Configuration/All Profiles/Mesh

A good chapter on Mesh is also available in the 5.0 User Guide Chapter 8.

Traffic from the Ethernet port on the AP70 may be backhauled through the mesh link back to the wired network. You can introduce authentication and/or policy control on this port as well as desired.

Thanks, excellent advice. I plan on building this set up this week. Luckily for me this is my home lab network and I'm free to play with(and break) as much as needed to get it where I want it.

Great news on the mesh support being part of the Base OS for 5.x because I wasn't sure if it was. I'll post back with my setup and results.

zero touch mesh methods? bueller bueller?

Just an update to how I solved this problem. I configured the mesh cluster profile and mesh radio profile settings and set my AP124 to be a mesh portal using the 5ghz as a backhaul for mesh communication. I then set up my AP70 to be a mesh point with the wired AP profile for eth 1 to be in the voice vlan for the IP phone that connected to the AP. I have been able to eliminate my autonomous Cisco WGB at this point.

Worked like a charm, phone is up in the proper VLAN and my AP meshed with zero issues! This was much easier than when I set up a mesh with cisco 1522s, granted it is a bit simpler.

One question I do have is, how could I eliminate having to wire my AP70 into the network and having it associate with the controller and configure it as a mesh point? Is there some sort of zero touch method where I can just turn the AP on and if it doesn't detect an Ethernet connection it tries to connect via mesh? Or I do need a different model AP?
Guru Elite

Not possible

I want to say that it is not possible, because there is encrypted information that is put on a mesh AP that is needed to be written from the controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

That is what I thought I was going to hear. But I figured why not ask, there is some one there smarter that will know! :)

Thanks

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: