Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Classroom with 20 laptops only half will connect

We have come across an issue about a week or so ago and I cant seem to find a reason for it. We have a cart of about 20 or so laptops in a classroom with an AP-65 attached to the top of the cart. If you power up all the laptops only about half connect and the rest say authenticating the only way the other completely connect is if you turn off the ones that originally connected. As you turn one off you can watch the non-connected ones connect. It is something new. It has been working the whole school year then all of a sudden this issue.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

Thanks
Ed
Aruba Employee

Re: Classroom with 20 laptops only half will connect

Do a "show wlan ssid-profile " and check the Max Associations parameter. Make sure that number is not set to a small number (about 10 from what you were describing). Also, do you have load balancing enabled? If your low threshold is about 10 and you go above that number, the AP will try to ignore clients for a short time to see if they will move to a different AP. If the driver doesn't keep trying, it may not connect.

Also, are these laptops using unique credentials, shared credentials or a pre-shared key? If they are using shared credentials, maybe someone changed a parameter on the RADIUS server that will only allow a certain number of logins per UID?

If none of those are the case, do a "show audit-trail" and see if anyone changed anything about a week ago. If nothing has changed, I would suggest you open a TAC case and they will most likely have you start a debugging trace on one of the laptops that won't connect.

Thanks Olin

I do have load balancing turned on. I will check the Max Assoc setting and see what it is set at.

We have all our user auth through Radius with rthe same settings so I woudl think all would see this issue if something was wrong on the Radius side.

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again

The Max Assoc is set to 64. Max Transmit Attempts is set to 8, does that matter?
Aruba Employee

Those are both the default values, so they are fine. What version of code are you running. Prior to 5.0, Aruba used AP load balancing, so you could set the high and low thresholds for clients. That info should be in the radio profile. If you are using 5.0, you don't have knobs to adjust spectrum load balancing.

Either way, this looks like you should open a TAC case. They can help you turn on debugging for a non-functioning client and see why it is not getting onto the WLAN.
MVP

Edward,

What was the conclusion to this problem?
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: