Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Connect to SSID by MAC Addr?

I have multiple APs broadcasting 1 SSID, Is there any software/tool from which i can map my WLAN to one AP by MAC address?
Guru Elite

Do you want....

Do you want just one AP to broadcast an ssid?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Connect to SSID by MAC Addr?

I want to test one of my client's wireless network. His office is being served by two APs, one of them is associated with master and other one with local.
Both are broadcasting the same SSID.
From troubleshooting point of view,i want to force my Wireless to associate with the local controller AP.
Is there any way to achieve this? I know a software (WiFi Hopper) but its not supported for Win7 and has some chipset dependencies.
Aruba Employee

If it's just for testing, turn the one you don't want to connect to into an Air Monitor for the duration of the test, then you won't have to worry about connecting to the right AP assuming it can really only connect to those two devices.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

I want to test both the APs side by side at the same location. I will be using two laptops, one to associate with each AP, but i am enable to force them to connect AP via its MAC.
Aruba Employee

What is it exactly that you're trying to figure out with this test?

If you really need to do that the easiest way is to simply create a new SSID on one of them, keep the settings the same and just create a new VAP, temporarily remove the normal VAP from the AP to keep the count the same.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will be of much use to you, but I could achieve this using the "Access Connections" software provided by IBM/Lenovo.

Some time ago I was in a hotel and it proved necessary to connect to an AP that had less signal (and thus not prefered by Zero) and Access Connections allowed me to do a survey and pick which AP I wanted to connect to.

Thnx Adam,
Access connections worked on my Samsung laptop and was able to associate based on BSSID... :)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: