Access Points

Frequent Contributor II

Converting IAP 105 to an AP 105

I have many IAP105's that are aruba instant (no central controller) based. They work great in that function but I have a need to reuse them as central controller based AP's (standard AP 105).

I tried it via the cli using convert-ap as well as via the gui - maintenance tab and neither worked. From the gui at least I get an error saying "ap_convert_version_error".

I opened a case with support but no joy there yet. I was told they could be converted before I purchased them so let's hope that's truly the case.

Thanks
Guru Elite

Re: Converting IAP 105 to an AP 105

What version of Controller code are you trying to convert them to? This should only work with ArubaOS 6.1 and above.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

I should be attempting this today and will try to follow-up. Thanks for the heads up Colin about the 6.1 requirement!
Frequent Contributor II

iap 105 conversion

Thanks Colin. I'll work towards upgrading our controllers and then try it again. Too bad I had to spend several days with two engineers only to find the answer by you online :)
Guru Elite

Istong, that is the only version of code that I could guarantee that it works with.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

I received the same error message in 6.0.1.3, but 6.1.2.3 worked perfectly.
Contributor I

I am getting the same error however, I am running version 5.0.4.2 on my controller. The strange thing is that I have already converted this particular IAP and one other to work with this version of AOS however, now I am running into this.

So far, I have tried upgrading the code on my controller (from 5.0.4.0 to 5.0.4.2) and downgrading the IAP code to 5.0.3.0. I have tried changing the boot os partition on the IAP (this is what I had to do in order to get back to IAP from Controller based), still no luck.

When my IAP was at version 6.1.x, I got a different error via CLI when I ran the "show upgrade" command:

/mips32.ari Image verify fail

So, back to the drawing board. I have an open case with support and will let you know where we are at when we figure out what is going on.
--
Jeremy R. Wirtz
WLAN Systems Engineer
Guru Elite

Use the physical reset mechanism on the IAP to set it back to IAP mode, and start from there.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Alright, this is what I needed to do. The limitation to convert the IAP from Instant to Controller based is in the IAP's firmware for the newer releases. This is why I was able to convert my IAPs to Controller based when we got them in the Spring. Since then, the firmware has been changed so that you must have AOS version 6.1.x or newer to convert.

I was able to convert my IAP by downgrading it's firmware to 5.0.3.1-1.0.0.1 with no problem. My Aruba 800 controller is running 5.0.4.2.
--
Jeremy R. Wirtz
WLAN Systems Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: