Access Points

Occasional Contributor I

Duplicate Ap Names

I have had two times now where an AP will cause it so there are duplicate AP names listed. I removed one and moved it to another subnet and it has been fine since. But another one has cropped up. I try to remove the duplicate entries but they just come back.
I have 5 duplicate Ap's listed when I only have 3 Ap's at that site. They all have the same AP Name. The mac addresses are different, different ip's, three say the same ap serial number where as the other two say N/A and each entry reports down.
What causes these duplicate entries?
Guru Elite

Duplicate APs

I have had two times now where an AP will cause it so there are duplicate AP names listed. I removed one and moved it to another subnet and it has been fine since. But another one has cropped up. I try to remove the duplicate entries but they just come back.
I have 5 duplicate Ap's listed when I only have 3 Ap's at that site. They all have the same AP Name. The mac addresses are different, different ip's, three say the same ap serial number where as the other two say N/A and each entry reports down.
What causes these duplicate entries?

AP names are retained in a database, even if they are down. If you bring up another AP with the same name as a previous AP and the other AP is down, you will still get a duplicate name. Please check this thread http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1758 on how to remove duplicate APs from the database.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Duplicate Ap Names

Thanks. But now I have just upgraded the controller. It still says 4 duplicate names but when I go to find them there is actually none showing. Like the counter didn't get reset or something. It is like when I did the upgrade it shows that I have 20 up access points and 10 down. I don't have 30 APs. So is there a way to basically just reset the count for both up/down and duplicate name?

Aruba Employee

Assuming that you're connecting to the controller via the GUI yes? And that you're clicking on the "Duplicate AP names" in the main screen of the controller and the list is coming up blank?

Click on the "All Access Points" under the same screen and you'll see the entire list of APs, both ones that are up and ones that are down.

The duplicate names will be in the list. Depending on your screen resolution you should scroll to the right and you'll see a "clear" button on the right hand side. Click clear and remove the duplicate entries you see.
Occasional Contributor I

Assuming that you're connecting to the controller via the GUI yes? And that you're clicking on the "Duplicate AP names" in the main screen of the controller and the list is coming up blank?

Click on the "All Access Points" under the same screen and you'll see the entire list of APs, both ones that are up and ones that are down.

The duplicate names will be in the list. Depending on your screen resolution you should scroll to the right and you'll see a "clear" button on the right hand side. Click clear and remove the duplicate entries you see.

Thanks but there are no duplicate names there either. Also if I add up the up+down clients on the monitor tab it adds up to more then the number of AP's we actually physically have. This problem of incorrect numbers being reported happened after I upgraded the ArubaOS.
Aruba Employee

What about from the CLI? Do a "show ap database" and see if the count and numbers agree. If you find the duplicate there, you can use the ap-rename command to fix it.
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks. The CLI did show some duplicate names. So I had to clear them using wired-mac address. Using the ap-name command with clear didn't work. Thanks.

Aruba Employee

Duplicate AP Names-Documentation

Instructions on how to remove duplicate AP names were documented in the ArubaOS User Guide version 3.4.1. Look in Chapter 5, section titled "Duplicate AP Names." The term "duplicate AP names" is also listed in the Index.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: