Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

EVDO failover with a RAP5

I am working on setting up failover to a USB EVDO card on a RAP5. I get it to work...but the RAP5 takes a full 2 minutes from the time of WAN connectivity "failure" on the E0 port to coming up on the EVDO card.

Is there a way to decrease the time that it takes to fail over to the EVDO connectivity??
Guru Elite

Hardcoded

For now, two minutes is the time after it detects a failure upstream to dial the EVDO modem. This is hardcoded to prevent flapping. If you disconnect the enet0 port, it should start dialing the modem as soon as the link is down.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: EVDO failover with a RAP5

My current failure method is to just unplug the E0 port...its taking the RAP about 30 to 40 seconds to recognize that its down and then another minute and a half or so to completely come up on the EVDO card.

My current EVDO backup comes up almost immediately, we only lose 1 ping (sometimes), I just wanted to see if there is any way to get closer to that.
Guru Elite

Closer to that

If you want, we can formally request an RFE (request for enhancement) to make the failover and failback configurable. (no guarantees that this will be granted or when it will be done)

It is interesting that a device can detect a failure AND dial an EVDO modem in less than a second. If traffic stops for some reason upstream, it could be that a cable is kicked out momentarily, or some congestion. There should be some sort of timer that prevents a small line quality issue or an accident from causing your modem to dial all the time, especially with the cost of wireless broadband.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: EVDO failover with a RAP5

I am currently doing it with an EVDO HWIC. How we are able to failover so quickly is establishing the VPN tunnel and passing 1 packet every 30 minutes or so over the EVDO card so that the tunnel will not drop...and then using BGP for our primary connection protocol and OSPF for our EVDO routing...when the BGP link fails the OSPF starts routing immediately...

I have asked about the ability to have both the E0 and EVDO up simultaneously and do some type of load balancing with an algorythm that takes bandwidth into account...that way when the E0 link fails the EVDO and associated VPN tunnel is already established and passing traffic.

If I were to ask for an enhancement it would be the load balancing first and then configurable failover variables.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: