Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Forcing client to associate to particular AP

Hi,

I have a wireless device that is in the same room as an AP65, but on startup keeps associating to another AP65 that is located on a floor above it.

As a result, the performance is not as good as when it associates to the AP nearest it.

The only way I can get it to associate to the AP in the same room is to reboot the upstairs AP. Performance is then great until reboot and it associates to the "wrong" AP again.

Any suggestions how I can make sure it always associates to the right AP?

Thanks
Guru Elite

Version

Hi,

I have a wireless device that is in the same room as an AP65, but on startup keeps associating to another AP65 that is located on a floor above it.

As a result, the performance is not as good as when it associates to the AP nearest it.

The only way I can get it to associate to the AP in the same room is to reboot the upstairs AP. Performance is then great until reboot and it associates to the "wrong" AP again.

Any suggestions how I can make sure it always associates to the right AP?

Thanks

What version of code are you running? Have you removed any of the lower association rates?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Forcing client to associate to particular AP

Code is 3.3.2.13

I presume you mean the transmit rates in Virtual AP? Which ones would you recommend removing?

Does this only occur with this particular wireless device? Some devices/drivers can be very sticky, they'll want to use the first AP they learned of unless it absolutely can't be heard. We experienced this with some cheapo Linksys VoWLAN phones.

What kind of device is this? If it's a computer, what OS and what wireless tool are you using?
Aruba Employee

Adam - As others have said, we can't "force" a client to connect to one AP or another. If you have load balancing enabled, we may (if the AP65 in the room has already reached the high watermark) ignore the client for a while and see if it (the client) will move to a less loaded AP. That may explain why the client connects to an AP you didn't expect it to. If the client won't move on its own to a less loaded AP, or if a less loaded AP is not available, then we will let it on the original AP. The decision where to connect is exclusive to the client and at the mercy of the drivers, os and current RF conditions.

Olin, I believe you meant this for Neal (the OP)?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: