Access Points

Regular Contributor I

I saw a Tan AP and I want to paint it Black

I need to paint two APs flat black so that they can be mounted backstage at a school's auditorium; is there a type of paint (enamel, latex, etc...) that doesn't impede RF?

I know I can buy an enclosure for them and then paint them black, but I have worries that it will bake the AP and having an internal fan is out of the question.
Guru Elite

Warranty

Quite a few people want to do this and Aruba says that this will void the warranty. Personally I'm not sure if you can *cough* black magic marker *cough* do this without Aruba frowning on you.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

I saw a Tan AP and I want to paint it Black

Non-Metallic Paint is what would not impede RF.

Lead-based pain from the old-days would not be a good choice of course
:).

Jason
Regular Contributor I

Re: I saw a Tan AP and I want to paint it Black

Hmmm, black marker... gee it just popped into my head. ;-)

Schools frown on lead paint too, man are they ever picky.

I found a thread on RadioReference.com where a member who has testing equipment for such things rated Krylon the best cheap paint for antennas. Needless to say it was a limited test.
Aruba Employee

Lead paint, delicious, but dangerous.
Occasional Contributor II

Film

Try some of the smaller width black adhesive film that will just stick onto it. Then cut slits for heat dissipation.
Guru Elite

Complete Turnaround

I completely take back what I said about the warranty. According to the support site knowledgebase:

"Yes. Aruba recommends the use of latex-based, non-metallic paint for this application. Usually, the coating is thin enough so as not to impact antenna performance. However, Aruba strongly advises customers to test a sample antenna prior to deployment to verify that the specific paint chosen does not impact performance. We do not recommend a particular brand; most should work."

Boy, I was wrong...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

Thanks Joseph for looking into this question further!!!
New Contributor

You could also try black electrical tape. It's made out of the same stuff as the AP itself...
Contributor I

eh?

APs are made out of vinyl electrical tape? I thought the dang things had some sort of circuit thingy inside... Next time I'm buying a roll instead of a 125. Just have to find the rj45 connector here somewhere.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: