Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Inactive and unlicensed

Our network consist of six controllers and about 190 AP's
Every now and then a large number of AP's across several controllers will become inactive and unlicensed
When I look at the ALL WLAN Controller Summary on the Master controller, the config sync times are very large
Rebooting the AP's seem to resolve the issue quickly.
Typically, I need to get the AP's up immediately and don't have a lot of time to look into what is going on. It may be months before it happens again.
I would appreciate any help in where to look for the what the cause may be.
Thanks in advance
Guru Elite

Re: Inactive and unlicensed

Unlicensed means that an access point ends up on a controller that does not have enough licenses. The access point does NOT reboot, it just sits there and does not broadcast anything.

At issue is how your access points find the controller that they connect to, and/or do you have some redundancy method that makes them end up on a controller that has too much capacity.

The big question is, what do all of your access points use for initial discovery?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Using DNS discovery

We use DNS on our Master-Local system, each AP is assiged to an AP group and linked to one of the five local controllers with the appropriate LMS IP. The master is left as the Default profile to pick up any unassigned AP's and set as the backup LMS for each AP group. LMS Preemption is enabled and set for 600 seconds.
I have verified the Aruba-Master entry in DNS pointing to our Master controller.
In previous instances, the Master controller would fill to its license limit with the balance of AP's becoming flagged IL.
This last instance was different as no AP's relocated to the Master, they appeared only as flagged IL.
The only readily identifyable indication of a problem seems to appear with monitoring the All WLAN Controllers - Config Sync Time, normaly <20 secs, becomes several thousands seconds indicating weeks or months since the last sync.
Any Ideas?
Guru Elite

The question is WHAT controller is the AP on when it shows up as IL? That is the device where you have the overloading problem (show ap database). The configuration Sync time can be long if the time on the controllers are either out of SYNC or have been out of synch for awhile and just synchronized.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

The AP's were across all 5 local controllers. In the last instance of this event, about a third of the AP's all went IL. The distribution on each controller did not appear significant, nor did the physical locations of the AP's
Guru Elite

Since the incident is not occurring now, we do not have enough clues to figure out what happened, but we can try to prevent it. The first thing you should do is run "show keys" on all controllers to see the licensing capacity of each controller in terms of access points. The second thing you should do is run "show ap active" on all controllers to see how many you have on each controller at that time. That will give you a starting point to find out how many access points you can terminate, and if your failover/failback strategy is licensed properly to hold all the access points that a controller needs.

If this problem happens again, you need to note which controllers have the issue and run "show ap license-usage" on the commandline to see which controller is having the problem, and how many APs are on it. You might also want to disable preemption, and maybe even the backup LMS, temporarily to make our AP activity more deterministic. You also might want to run "show ap debug counters" to see if any access points are rebooting or rebootstrapping excessively.

Colin Joseph

I will try some of your suggestions at the earliest. We are nearing our term end and life is becoming busy so I may not be able to follow up as soon as I like. Your help is appreciated.
New Contributor

I have a similar layout with the same problem. In my case the controllers are on a different broadcast network and the issue was happening daily. I have had a support ticket open for 3 Months and they have been no help. I did find relief by adding DHCP option 15 and specifying a domain name so the DNS query for aruba-master became fully qualified. I am down from 10 IL a day to 1 every couple weeks.
Frequent Contributor II

i've a similar issue

show ap database --> Total APs:46
show ap active --> Num APs:32

show ap license-usage

Total AP Licenses : 128
AP Licenses Used : 32
MUX Licenses Used : 0
Unused AP Licenses : 96
Licenses used for Campus AP's : 32
Available Campus AP's : 0
Licenses used for Remote AP's : 0
Available Remote AP's : 0
Total Ortronics AP Licenses : 0
Ortronics AP Licenses Used : 0
Total Indoor Mesh AP's Supported : 128
Indoor Mesh AP's Active : 0
Total Outdoor Mesh AP's supported : 128
Outdoor Mesh AP's Active : 0
Total PEF Licenses : 128
PEF Licenses Used : 32

before i had only 32 license than i add 64 license and the problem start... maybe a license issue?

i open a ticket to support and i'm waiting how to solve this issue.
Andrea Consadori
ACMP 5.0 and 6.3

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Frequent Contributor II

fixed,
my controller was AP3200 so after 32 ap no more ap can be loaded...

maybe is better if aruba make a warining when you reach maximum ap load.
Andrea Consadori
ACMP 5.0 and 6.3

-- Found something helpful, important, or cool? Click the Kudos Star in a post.
-- Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: