Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Is ARM too smart for some RAP deployments?

We have been deploying RAP's to work at home employees and some have reported numerous short disconnects. Looking at the ARM history for these AP's shows the AP's changing channels every 5-10 minutes.

As a test I set ARM to maintain for these AP's, but does anyone else see similar issues?

All of the users experiencing this issue are in areas with A LOT of AP's around. One house has an AP and a couple of range extenders along with about a dozen AP's showing up in range so I can understand why the AP would have a hard time finding a clear channel. In all cases the users are within 20 feet of the AP so hopefully setting them to Maintain will solve the issue for these users but I am curious if others are seeing the same problem and how they may have resolved them. Is setting ARM to maintain the proper course of action or should I change the ARM backoff timer to something higher?

Thanks!
Guru Elite

Client-Aware

We have been deploying RAP's to work at home employees and some have reported numerous short disconnects. Looking at the ARM history for these AP's shows the AP's changing channels every 5-10 minutes.

As a test I set ARM to maintain for these AP's, but does anyone else see similar issues?

All of the users experiencing this issue are in areas with A LOT of AP's around. One house has an AP and a couple of range extenders along with about a dozen AP's showing up in range so I can understand why the AP would have a hard time finding a clear channel. In all cases the users are within 20 feet of the AP so hopefully setting them to Maintain will solve the issue for these users but I am curious if others are seeing the same problem and how they may have resolved them. Is setting ARM to maintain the proper course of action or should I change the ARM backoff timer to something higher?

Thanks!

If you are having disconnects, one thing to do is set "Client Aware" in the ARM profile to on. That means that the AP will NOT change channel while a client is associated. That means, while a client is associated, it will not change channel, but at other times it will find the best channel, but not change channel while the user is associated.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Is ARM too smart for some RAP deployments?

Sorry I should have mentioned that it was enabled on our default profile and I have seen the channel change when a user was associated though possibly not when they were actively sending data.

The other thing is that we are hiding our SSID (Yeah I know it doesn't help anything but I need to solve that issue internally!) so maybe this is more of a general association issue after the channel changes that an issue with ARM?
Guru Elite

Enable User Debugging

Enable Debugging for that user, and you will get a better picture about why the user disconnects. You can do other things, like turning on broadcast filter arp and broadcast filter all on that Virtual AP, if the user is in a VLAN that has alot of clients and does not depend on broadcasts to communicate.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Is ARM too smart for some RAP deployments?

I will leave debugging on for awhile as you suggest and see if something stands out. Thank you!

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: