Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Mass provisioning 500 campus APs

Hi All,

I've read the other threads on bulk provisioning; they don't appear to relate to this question so hopefully I haven't missed something.

Previously when provisioning APs we follow these steps:
1) connect them to the controller network, wait until they install the firmware and are available in the AP installation menu.
2) Select all the APs from the same floor, set the AP group and FQLN, and enter the name for all the selected APs
3) Repeat for the next FQLN

Is there any way to be able to pre-enter the AP name --> AP mac/serial and FQLN (I'm thinking about stopping using the FQLN, so not too bothered about this) and AP group settings so as soon as we connect the AP it will be provisioned and start working without any interaction?

I've given the provisioning profile a quick look but this seems unrelated.

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

Re: Mass provisioning 500 campus APs

If you use the AP-group or the ap-rename function with the serial number, you can pre-set both of those:

ap-regroup serial-num
ap-rename serial-num

When the APs come up, they will get the new group and serial number.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

If you use the AP-group or the ap-rename function with the serial number, you can pre-set both of those:

ap-regroup serial-num
ap-rename serial-num

When the APs come up, they will get the new group and serial number.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've just tried this on a spare AP and get:

(Aruba-ME) #ap-rename serial-num AJ0168383 AutoNamed
AP with serial number AJ0168383 not found.

So it looks like this command is expecting to have to seen the AP at least once and therefore won't work on brand new APs.

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

I am wrong again about that one.

It does have to be in the global AP database. That does not prevent you from running the same ap-rename list multiple times, as the access points come up, though.

The organization that this was done with had a methodology where they would "burn-in" the access points before they deployed, to make sure they functioned, first, then they would run the ap-rename and ap-regroup command multiple times. I can see where doing this ahead of time would be useful, though. It would be interesting to hear what others are doing.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

OK, thanks. What I suspect we will do is mark up where each AP is for, deploy them as new and then run the rename/regroup command.

Running ap-rename makes the AP reboot shortly after the command has been run. Do you know if:
1) running ap-rename and then ap-regroup straight after will have both take effect before the reboot?
2) Will running either rename (or regroup) where the name is the same cause the AP to reboot or will it identify no change has been made and not do anything?

Cheers,
-Jeff
Guru Elite

OK, thanks. What I suspect we will do is mark up where each AP is for, deploy them as new and then run the rename/regroup command.

Running ap-rename makes the AP reboot shortly after the command has been run. Do you know if:
1) running ap-rename and then ap-regroup straight after will have both take effect before the reboot? (NO - Running one will not allow you to do another)
2) Will running either rename (or regroup) where the name is the same cause the AP to reboot or will it identify no change has been made and not do anything? (The AP will reboot in either case)

Cheers,
-Jeff

Please see inline.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: