Access Points

Occasional Contributor II

Mesh portal without wired connection?

Hi all,

This is a stupid question but I can't seem to find a documented answer. If a mesh portal loses its wired connection, does it become a mesh point, or does it turn off its radios and rebootstrap?

We're using some AP-85's for an outdoor event, as mesh portals with a ubiquiti PTMP backhaul, and I'm wondering what'll happen if one of the ubiquiti CPE's goes down. Ideally, I'd like the 85's to fail into a mesh point mode if they have no directly connected backhaul.
Guru Elite

Mesh Portal=/Mesh Point

A mesh portal is a regular wired AP. It does NOT turn into a mesh point when it loses wired connectivity. Like a wired AP, it will rebootstrap, turn off its radios and attempt to reconnect to the controller. If you have a dual mesh portal, that can serve as a backup.

Very interesting setup you have... Let us know how it goes....

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Mesh portal without wired connection?

Thanks Colin. That's unfortunate, and something I'll have to put a feature request in for. (I understand that some people may not want that behavior, but it'd be nice to have the option). My previous mesh experience is Tropos, which behaves that way. Aruba's mesh architecture doesn't seem quite as resilient (edit: yet).

Will let you all know how it goes.
Guru Elite

Mesh Topology

Ahenson,

It is good to hear what users are doing with Aruba. Feature requests by users always gets everyone thinking about what we should be doing and where the customer experience should be. If Aruba was 100% mesh, the feature you mention would probably be included by default. Fortunately Aruba is open based on customer needs and the industry.

Please file your RFE.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: