Access Points

New Contributor

RAP2Wg as an Air Monitor

Hi All,

I using a controller ina a MAster redundancy mode running arubaOs 5.0.2.1.

We have some Remote Access points at this enviroment set up into one ApGroup.

We have just one RAP2Wg that is becoming up as a Air Monitor.

Did Anyone already see this issue?

Best Regards,

Dante Cappellini
Guru Elite

Re: RAP2Wg as an Air Monitor

The big question, is which controller is it really pointed to? When you say remote AP and you say backup master the network question is what IP address do you have the RAP2 pointed at? a VRRP address will not work behind a nat boundary, so you must have a DNS a-record outside with two entries, one for the external address of the master and one for the external address of the backup master.

Please let us know what address the RAP2 is pointed at...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

The RAP-2wg is a 2.4 GHz only AP. It is not recommended as an AirMonitor since it is unable to scan the 5 GHz spectrum. That is a pretty large security hole for rogue scanning.
Guru Elite

I could have read this wrong. Is the issue that the Rap2wG is unexpectedly becoming an air monitor, or you want to deploy it as an air monitor...?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

The problem is that the Rap2wG is unexpectedly becoming an air monitor.

we are provision it using the DNS Name that is the alias for the VRRP IP Controller.
I Understand that we have to provision to the VRRP IP controller to garantee redundancy.
Guru Elite

Please try to provsion it to the IP address of the controller, NOT the vrrp or the DNS address and see if it continues.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

I using a controller ina a MAster redundancy mode running arubaOs 5.0.2.1.

We have some Remote Access points at this enviroment set up into one ApGroup.

We have just one RAP2Wg that is becoming up as a Air Monitor.

Did Anyone already see this issue?

Best Regards,

Dante Cappellini

It is a problem with the AP Group country code. If you try to provision an AP that is not yet homologated to be used on that country code, the AP is turned into Air Monitor only.
Regular Contributor I

RAP2WG "could" be used for doing WIP or ? While above user reports that this unit comes up as air-monitor then WIP and features of WIP should be use-able or ? dont see any problems regarding this or are there any limitations? Well it's only 2,4ghz and not 5ghz but WIP settings should work there too or ?

regards
ben
Guru Elite

In the case above, the AP would come up as "Inactive" which would mean in general and invalid configuration, so it would not be able to do any air monitoring. The RAP2wg is also not suitable for air monitoring for a number of reasons...

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: